One high power 18" vs two lower power 18's?

One high power 18(sp4) or two lower power 18's(Q's)?

• One high power sub(sp4)

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Two lower power subs(Q's)

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters

bass-aholic
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
New York
Howdy folks, after a long time with no bass its finally time to get back in the game. Im trying to decide on my next setup and would appreciate some input from all of you. The setup will be going in a ford explorer and if I dont have enough airspace behind the seats I will wall it off. Music is going to be mainly rap with lots of lows, no competition just ground pounding. For now power is an aq2200d and if needed I will step up to 3-4krms some time down the road. I will design and build the optimal ported box for either subs.

Now my question is would it be better for my application to use one 18 on lots of power like an FI SP4 or use two less powerful 18's like the FI Q? I have ran the q's in the past and I really liked how clean they sounded and im kind of leaning towards them. Please chime in and let me know what you think and thanks in advance!

Well in a perfect world doubling cone area would gain you 3dbs plus you'd have some more motor force with the 2 however beyond that it's hard to say what's best for you it depends on how much room you want to sacrifice as well.

Yea **** fi lol Ur gonna have tinsel lead problems all day long but if I was to choose I'd go with the q's way more cone area and it would all most be about the same power level any ways with both

Yea **** fi lol Ur gonna have tinsel lead problems all day long but if I was to choose I'd go with the q's way more cone area and it would all most be about the same power level any ways with both
Why the hate? Ive ran a pair of Q's and a pair of BTL's for years and never had problems, even when doubling there rms!

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think im going to go with the Q's since I have the whole back of the truck for airspace, and ive always wanted to run 4 of them in a wall so this is a good start. Anyone know where I can get a design and cutsheet for a box?

Why the hate? Ive ran a pair of Q's and a pair of BTL's for years and never had problems, even when doubling there rms!
Thanks for all the input everyone. I think im going to go with the Q's since I have the whole back of the truck for airspace, and ive always wanted to run 4 of them in a wall so this is a good start. Anyone know where I can get a design and cutsheet for a box?
Heard threw the grape vine there's a new guy doing their tinseal lead soldering joints and they come out like *** I was going through recones every week because of it 1000 watts 2000 watts 4000 watts didn't matter the power they would fall off every time same with my buddy's a kno another guy same thing with his n2 saw a guy on YouTube same thing on his n2 best of luck to u on it man I just kno I won't be running fi for a while unless they came with psi softparts but like I said tho the 2 q's for sure

gonna have to take the cake on this one. ive had nothing but 18s in my 2000 explorer.

1 level 6 18 on 7k did 154.7

2 level 5 spl 18s on 7k did 156.0

1 crossfire 18 on 7k did 153.7

1 fi n2 18 on 7k did 154.7 also

2 dc/atomic 18s on 5k did 153.6

2 crossfire xs v1 18s on 9k did 154.9

i have found out that 1 18 with the right box will be louder. even though my 2 18 score of 156 was highest it was only because it was straight spl and on 9k. plus its alot easier to place amps and batts with a single 18. only way to do 2 18s easily is removing back seat and making a false floor. but even when i did that i lost on the meter some, but it did sound fantastic. any more info just pm me man. hope this helps

Heard threw the grape vine there's a new guy doing their tinseal lead soldering joints and they come out like *** I was going through recones every week because of it 1000 watts 2000 watts 4000 watts didn't matter the power they would fall off every time same with my buddy's a kno another guy same thing with his n2 saw a guy on YouTube same thing on his n2 best of luck to u on it man I just kno I won't be running fi for a while unless they came with psi softparts but like I said tho the 2 q's for sure
Wow thats a shame. Did they break off where they could be resoldered or where they un-fixable?

gonna have to take the cake on this one. ive had nothing but 18s in my 2000 explorer.
1 level 6 18 on 7k did 154.7

2 level 5 spl 18s on 7k did 156.0

1 crossfire 18 on 7k did 153.7

1 fi n2 18 on 7k did 154.7 also

2 dc/atomic 18s on 5k did 153.6

2 crossfire xs v1 18s on 9k did 154.9

i have found out that 1 18 with the right box will be louder. even though my 2 18 score of 156 was highest it was only because it was straight spl and on 9k. plus its alot easier to place amps and batts with a single 18. only way to do 2 18s easily is removing back seat and making a false floor. but even when i did that i lost on the meter some, but it did sound fantastic. any more info just pm me man. hope this helps
Very helpful and informative! Last time I did the 2 BTL's I had to make a false floor on the wheel wells so i could get a few more inches for airspace, and mounted the batteries under the rear seat. Sure was a tight fit and I really dont wanna do that again. Im going to look into some other options for a single 18" instead of limiting myself to FI. LMS ultra sounds pretty good right about now. Any suggestions? Thanks again everyone!

are you only going for sound or do you want to compete? for nice sound (as much as i hate to admit it) crossfire v1 18s were the best sounding subs ive owned. they didnt do a **** thing on the meter but for what they were i loved em.

Wow thats a shame. Did they break off where they could be resoldered or where they un-fixable?

Very helpful and informative! Last time I did the 2 BTL's I had to make a false floor on the wheel wells so i could get a few more inches for airspace, and mounted the batteries under the rear seat. Sure was a tight fit and I really dont wanna do that again. Im going to look into some other options for a single 18" instead of limiting myself to FI. LMS ultra sounds pretty good right about now. Any suggestions? Thanks again everyone!
Unfixable man all ways at the part u can't resolder and even when u can resolder they just fall off again I burnt the whole cone straight caught on fire

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...