One 12 not enough?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sheep

Indiana
I went to my local audio shop, and I was talking to the guy saying I was planning on running one SA 12 on the American Bass 100.1 Amp. He said that running only the one sub would be bad and I would fry it. Opinions? He also said I would need an additional battery, which makes me skeptical about his first statement.

dude is an idiot.

one sub is all i run and all i need. most of my installs are just a single sub - in an optimized enclosure. you can be as loud or as SQ as you want. more subs is a negative compromise unless space is unlimited.

here are examples

Hertz Mille 12 in a 2014 Accord

AccordBoxFinal016.jpg

Hertz Mille 10 in a 2006 Scion tC

scionfinishing016.jpg

Image Dynamics ID10 in a vented enclosure in a 2008 Scion xB

2008ScionxBfinish010.jpg

Alpine SWR12 in an aperiodic enclosure

accordtrunkfinished016.jpg

Hertz Mille 12 in a IB wall

1389944845473.jpg

1389945161565.jpg

Fi BL18 in a huge enclosure in an Astro Van on 2kW

BrianVanAmpComplete016.jpg

center console Ultra LV10

tundrabox002.jpg

tundrabox012.jpg

JL 13W7 on JL amps in a 2011 Scion tC

IMG_20141102_183627_450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
stick with your plan and talk to installers if the salesmen are inexperienced. you can tell the salesman you talked to that an acoustics engineer with 20+ years in mobile audio can teach a class on the merits of a single sub.

a single sub is best placed in the rear passenger corner of the vehicle, allowing for most of the storage space to be maintained while also optimizing the subs performance. corner firing minimizes phase interference.

He's just trying to get more money out of you. I've heard many single sub setups that sounded great so don't believe that bull. If your amp produces more power than the sub can handle, all you gotta do is put the gains down. That simple. If anything, it's better to have more power. You'll have headroom and better efficiency. About the extra battery, it will depend on how low your voltage goes. What car do you have? and what's your current electrical like?

That amp may be a bit much for the sa. I was think of getting a sa 12 and putting on my VFL 4480 I have sitting around

And an xtra battery is always a good thing! Along with the big 3 upgrade..

The guy knew I wasn't buying anything from him, the "top of the line" they have are like fosgates. I mean they do sell a 5000watt amp, but he told me they just bought it for looks lol. I planned on having to do the Big 3 upgrade. Also, they don't work on commission at this shop.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.