Onboard ammeter

Participant count
  • Participant list

metalheadjoe
10+ year member

Unapologetic prick
ND
Has anyone installed an ammeter in their vehicle? How did you build it? The best idea I've come up with is to use multiple current switches wired to LED's to give an idea of your draw. Each switch could be adjusted based on individual needs. The analog current transducers I regularly work with (Veris Hawkeye) don't have enough range to handle the task.

Has anyone installed an ammeter in their vehicle? How did you build it? The best idea I've come up with is to use multiple current switches wired to LED's to give an idea of your draw. Each switch could be adjusted based on individual needs. The analog current transducers I regularly work with (Veris Hawkeye) don't have enough range to handle the task.

Sparked innovations makes one.

And really your just looking for a shunt

Is that the dipshit from youtube?

Edit: Definitely the dipshit from youtube. Can you link his ammeter?

I don't know the owner or guy your talking about but a lot of his gear appears decent if not niche and expensive. If I didn't build my own relay panel I might of bought one of his. The cooling fans and conductor also look appealing for those who want or need them.

But really you can install inline shunts or ring shunts to see amp draw. That's all the conductor is just dressed up pretty

I don't know the owner or guy your talking about but a lot of his gear appears decent if not niche and expensive. If I didn't build my own relay panel I might of bought one of his. The cooling fans and conductor also look appealing for those who want or need them.

But really you can install inline shunts or ring shunts to see amp draw. That's all the conductor is just dressed up pretty
Thanks for the tip. As much as I can't stand that arrogant nerd, that product looks like exactly what I'm after.

Not trying to be rude, but I think you mean transducer when you say shunt.

I might be wrong but when you Google it it pulls up as a shunt
I stand corrected. As the saying goes, there's more than one way to fuck a cat. Thank you for the link. I don't like the idea of adding resistance anywhere in my system, but if that's the only option available, I don't have a choice.
get a cheap ebay digital ammeter with dc shunt. does the job
Can you share a link or let me know what to search for? I'm not looking for a handheld meter.

It's a shunt. I have been thinking about doing this for years, but like you, didn't want the extra connections/resistance in my system. AND, the largest i can find is only 1000a shunt anyways, probably why his is 1000a. Which is no where near large enough for me.

It's a shunt. I have been thinking about doing this for years, but like you, didn't want the extra connections/resistance in my system. AND, the largest i can find is only 1000a shunt anyways, probably why his is 1000a. Which is no where near large enough for me.

You are pulling 1000amp through 1 wire?
you ideally run one per positive run to decrease resistance.

They also have hall effect sensors which work similarly

You are pulling 1000amp through 1 wire?
you ideally run one per positive run to decrease resistance.

They also have hall effect sensors which work similarly
I will be using 400a hall effect on my alt charging runs. So I can monitor each alt output. ( already own it all, just not installing until rebuild this winter)
My last set up had 8 4/0 pos- 8 4/0 neg wires going to the amps. Two per amp, 14" runs, each amp can clamp 11-14k, so yeah, around 1000a per pair of wires. Would be a cluster F with that many ammeters to monitor, one per amp would be ideal, and make sense. If I could find readily available 2k DC shunts and ammeters,( for 12-17v dc operating range) it'd be a done deal ..

I will be using 400a hall effect on my alt charging runs. So I can monitor each alt output. ( already own it all, just not installing until rebuild this winter)
My last set up had 8 4/0 pos- 8 4/0 neg wires going to the amps. Two per amp, 14" runs, each amp can clamp 11-14k, so yeah, around 1000a per pair of wires. Would be a cluster F with that many ammeters to monitor, one per amp would be ideal, and make sense. If I could find readily available 2k DC shunts and ammeters,( for 12-17v dc operating range) it'd be a done deal ..

You do realize the 50mv and 100mv is for the display to read and not the rated voltage of the shunt.

Their are lots of 2000amp shunts not cheap but they are available

You do realize the 50mv and 100mv is for the display to read and not the rated voltage of the shunt.

Their are lots of 2000amp shunts not cheap but they are available

Yes, I know this. and Exactly, they aren't cheap, like the 1000a and under are.
The display is the also an issue. A display(ammeter) that reads 1000a+, that is 12v compatible. That's the voltage issue I'm talking about. Most of the high read ammeter displays are for industrial use, thus 24v, not 12v.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

metalheadjoe

10+ year member
Unapologetic prick
metalheadjoe
ND
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies