Oldschool vs newschool

innsanes
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
HB Cali
I've been out of the car audio game for awhile. Still running my idmax . Wusup with all these new subs wanting 1500 watts to 3k just to get to a decent spl? Do they even sound good or are they burp fart cans?

I've been out of the car audio game for awhile. Still running my idmax . Wusup with all these new subs wanting 1500 watts to 3k just to get to a decent spl? Do they even sound good or are they burp fart cans?
Take a sundown nsv3 for example. I think 2500rms rating... it will slam on a 1000watt amp but if u put a 5k amp on it and feed it a clean 2500watts it will sound crystal clear and loud at fvck

Most subs today aren't as efficient as the old school stuff, wattage is far cheaper and people want smaller enclosures. Thus leading to a demand of power hungry inefficient subs.
I'm guessing these inefficient subs were made so that they can sell you the bigger amps that is needed to power it. Plus the marketing part of brag rights. My ***** is bigger than yours attitude. I'll stick to 1500 rms and below.

I'm guessing these inefficient subs were made so that they can sell you the bigger amps that is needed to power it. Plus the marketing part of brag rights. My ***** is bigger than yours attitude. I'll stick to 1500 rms and below.
17554576_1686552854704956_7134581231236404129_n.jpg

Exactly I'm trying to bring the old school back

Yep, I stick to mostly lowered powered stuff with a lighter weight moving mass and big boxes. There was a similar discussion related to that on here not too long ago. I think its more impressive doing the most with the least, rather than having thousands of watts and tons of cone area.

I put an old school Alpine type R in my Benz earlier today pulling out an old school Kicker round solobaric 15 ..it was night and day in Bass ..the enclosures were about the same size but the Alpine is ported and tuned at 38hz ....where the Kicker was sealed

I'm running an all electric e golf on 1500 watts and no need for big three or high output alternators. The amp gets clean voltage from the battery. Thanks for the insight on new school stuff. Was gonna upgrade to something new.

Mostly, but also consider Hoffman's Iron Law. Cheap power allows us good low extension in smaller space. Most stuff is just power handling for the sake of power handling and bragging rights. Apart from extreme applications it's just d!ck measuring.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.