Ok what does 8 gauge speaker wire do for me ?

You could use telephone wire, using anything bigger than 10 or 12 gauge is just for looks unless you're putting 4kw1 through it

Power and gnd for the amp obviously use the largest you can fit

Thicker wire more current flow, simple.
Yes. The lower you wire, the more current flows. 1/2 ohm nominal will allow more current to flow than 1 ohm nominal.

You could use telephone wire, using anything bigger than 10 or 12 gauge is just for looks unless you're putting 4kw1 through it
Power and gnd for the amp obviously use the largest you can fit
Umm.. no.. Telephone wire wouldn't take 1k at less than 1 ohm.

Don't use telephone wire for your subs. I wouldn't use that for my tweeters.

Where do you base your "facts"??

Does anyone realize what you're doing when you wire your amps low?

The amp puts out voltage. Amps are designed to put out different voltage into different loads. Some amps are designed to run a higher voltage, but lower current (commonly 2+ ohm amps and full bridge or Brazilian amps). Other amps are designed to put out a lot of current at lower voltages, like this Sundown amp that uses a Korean half-bridge board. Without knowing the output voltage, I can't say for sure if 8 gauge is necessary.

I do know that the amp will put out more current than it would if you wired it to one ohm. The telephone wire idea was absolutely ignorant.

The size of the wire determines how much current it can safely/continuously handle.

I rarely click the "dislike" button, but that's just plain stupid for 2k @ .5 nominal.

lol my statement was far from ignorant. which side are you on? the practical real world use or the by the book standardized method? for real world use it has been proven that telephone wire can be used effectively, where do YOU base YOUR facts? In all the discussions we've had on various topics I have yet to see you reference an externally peer reviewed source, all the while ignoring the references I have provided.

bottom line: the answer is no, you do not need 8 gauge wire.

lol my statement was far from ignorant. which side are you on? the practical real world use or the by the book standardized method? for real world use it has been proven that telephone wire can be used effectively, where do YOU base YOUR facts? In all the discussions we've had on various topics I have yet to see you reference an externally peer reviewed source, all the while ignoring the references I have provided.
Do you know how much current that amp puts out?

You go use some telephone wire on a decent sized amp. Let us know how that goes..

I'm not saying he needs 8 gauge. 12 gauge would probably be fine.

Telephone wire used today is 24 gauge. I would not use that for anything in my sound system, especially subs.

I agree. For a 2k amp. Real 12g or 10g will be fine.
Yes, 10 or 12 gauge would be fine. 24 gauge would not

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.