Ohms?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Holy cow.... No idea what ohms are? I strongly suggest you hang around this site for another month or so just to get a bit more acquainted with the world of car audio. I assure you you won't regret it, and it could open up your mind to a lot more product suggestions. And you'll save another months worth of money for your budget.

A simple google search would have sufficed, it would have came up with several hundred thousands websites with a bevy of information for you.

However, to buff up on your car audio (and ohm) knowledge, I'd strongly recommend reading through this site: Basic Car Audio Electronics

That will help you grasp the basics of car audio, that you're going to need to know for the future.

In short, Ohms are a measure of electrical resistance. It's common practice to wire your subwoofer stage to a final load of 1 ohm, because that's the level most amplifiers make their optimal power at. If that is what your amplifier makes ideal power at, then you'll want to wire to 1 ohm. To do that, you first need to know how many subwoofers you are running. If you're running a single subwoofer, you need a Dual 2ohm woofer (D2). If you're running two subwoofers, you'll need Dual 4 ohm (D4) woofers.

Don't question how it works, just know that it does. If you want to know more, read the site I linked.

Holy cow.... No idea what ohms are? I strongly suggest you hang around this site for another month or so just to get a bit more acquainted with the world of car audio. I assure you you won't regret it' date=' and it could open up your mind to a lot more product suggestions. And you'll save another months worth of money for your budget. A simple google search would have sufficed, it would have came up with several hundred thousands websites with a bevy of information for you.

However, to buff up on your car audio (and ohm) knowledge, I'd strongly recommend reading through this site: Basic Car Audio Electronics

That will help you grasp the basics of car audio, that you're going to need to know for the future.

In short, Ohms are a measure of electrical resistance. It's common practice to wire your subwoofer stage to a final load of 1 ohm, because that's the level most amplifiers make their optimal power at. If that is what your amplifier makes ideal power at, then you'll want to wire to 1 ohm. To do that, you first need to know how many subwoofers you are running. If you're running a single subwoofer, you need a Dual 2ohm woofer (D2). If you're running two subwoofers, you'll need Dual 4 ohm (D4) woofers.

Don't question how it works, just know that it does. If you want to know more, read the site I linked.
Thanks, ill look into that. Also whats your opinion boxes? I can't make up my mind between a ported or sealed one. Im going to be using two Idmax 12"s. I want it to be able to get loud and hit the low notes, without having to sacrifice too much sq

Thanks, ill look into that. Also whats your opinion boxes? I can't make up my mind between a ported or sealed one. Im going to be using two Idmax 12"s. I want it to be able to get loud and hit the low notes, without having to sacrifice too much sq
Please do, it's a really awesome and very well put-together site.

I'd definitely recommend ported. The IDmax do well sealed. But for what you're looking for, I'd say ported. A properly designed ported box will not sacrifice in SQ either. Just make sure it is designed and built to your application; we have many members on here that can help with that.

list the amp and subs make/model numbers. there are only a few subs on the market that let you select final impedance. you need to coordinate the final impedance load with the amplifier selection.

SQ/SQL requires a substantial amount of effort on installation by a skilled and experienced installer.

my signature has an Ohm's law table. this table demonstrates the relationship between power, voltage, current, and resistance. all four of these should be understood by an installer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.