Ohms Question

Power handling is lower -- not 1/2, but 75% or so.

The other issue is it basically becomes a different sub. All the T/S parameters change. If you built/chose a box based on mfg's t/s numbers it's not going to work the way you planned. Certainly not as good, hopefully not way worse.

Try wiring it up at 1 Ohm. My last amp was a Kenwood that had no specs for 1 Ohm but ran fine for a few months and not once went into protect. Sold that amp when I got my new one.

So I have a basic Ohmm question.
If I have a Dual voice coil sub. 2 Ohms.

If I use a single channel amp.

I can only wire it to 4 ohms or one.

So if I used this amp Kicker CX1200.1 (12CX1200.1) CX Series 2400W Monoblock Class-D Amplifier

I can only get the 600 watts out of it?

What would happen if I wired it to just one voice coil?
n2audio hit the nail on the head. The power handling of the sub is lowered and the T/S parameters are thrown out of whack. It's far from ideal.

Your best bet is to change either the sub or amp. You could also try what kingbudman suggested if you set the gains low (assuming the amp doesn't protest), just get the 600W RMS out of it, or add a second identical sub so you can wire the pair to 2 (but then they'd still get 600 each)

Don't run just one coil and don't wire lower than 2 ohms. Kicker lower line amps aren't designed to run low impedances. Even with rise, it won't be agood idea.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.