Oh sh*t...

LoudCrownVic
5,000+ posts

1/1 of Team Team Team
I think I may have a blown Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1. I have two of them wired parralel in a sealed box running on 500rms 2ohm, and have them wired in kind of a string, one woofer recieving signal first then the other.

But nonetheless, one is making a scratchy noise and is responding poorly. There is like 400 different things I could have done to cause this, including running them on 4ohms 800 watts rms, 8 ohms at 20 watts rms, and testing how they were wired (uhm did I just put them is series?) by touching the wire to a 9'volt battery, not to mention other things...

Is there a possibility the one is not blown and I just need to wire it different?

Please God, i just had to drop 300 dollars into my scrapheap to fix the shocks and alternator, don't tell me I have to shell out another 100 bucks because I'm retarded!

Any suggestions? Prayers? Donations...?

Only one, thankfully, is blown... Yet only that one reads 4 ohms, while the other (the not blown one) reads 5.5 ohms. Anybody know how much it costs for a re-coil on an Infinity?

(Man that wall hurts my head...)

A new one costs not 100 dollars, but 159 dollars. That's how much both of them cost together to buy them used! ****ing ***** ass infinity's! Why in the hell did I have to sell my Kicker L7 15? Everything else just blows or ***** ass, or both.

The worst part about this is the woofers belong to my sister. I was wiring them in her car when i discovered they were blown. Now she's very mad and to top it off I'm very broke.

Question: Will it hurt the other woofer to keep playing it with the blown one?

the other sub should be fine if there is a divider in the box, if they share the same airspace then there is a **** good chance of blowing the other one.

Call up Infinity. They are usually really good about stuff like that. If it's on warranty, you could very well be looking at it fixed for free + shipping.

I'm going to mess with the wiring a little bit... But theyre in an undivided box. my sister played them anyway in her car and claims they still sounded "fine."

When playing, it seems that one of them is just retarded The scratching noise kina subsided for now. To descibe it, the woofer responds dumb and weak seems to be getting signal on and off, while the other slams VERY tight . The blown one might be just passive radiating right now, so I'm gonna wire it alone and test it out this afternoon. I might have just a poor connection...

We have no warranty to speak of. We bought them from a pawnshop for pretty cheap, and they worked great. I do believe the 800 watts rms 4 ohm (although only playing for about 2 hours total at moderate volumes) did it in...

Rough deal no matter what, I tell ya. Why cant Infinity's be like my Polk DX 10"? I put that little thing on 800 watts and slammed the crap out of it for two weeks before I got sick of hearing it peak out (that wooden knocking noise when the voice coil hits the backplate). It's a 400 watt max woofer! And one the 1300 watt max Infinitys blow... I suppose I wasn't exactly easy on them... But man, they must have built that one on rice break or something.

Does anybody suggest trying to re-coil it myself? or is that a pretty difficult task? It's a 4 ohm svc woofer so It cant be that bad...

A new one costs not 100 dollars, but 159 dollars. That's how much both of them cost together to buy them used! ****ing ***** ass infinity's! Why in the hell did I have to sell my Kicker L7 15? Everything else just blows or ***** ass, or both.The worst part about this is the woofers belong to my sister. I was wiring them in her car when i discovered they were blown. Now she's very mad and to top it off I'm very broke.

Question: Will it hurt the other woofer to keep playing it with the blown one?
You got to be kiddin' me...you chose 2 infinity Perfects over an L7! Fool, no offense but those L7's probably would have never of blown on ya...unless hooked up wrong. Bummer dude sad to hear it cost so frickin' much!

Ah, well, foolish as I may be, I needed money in which to buy shocks for my car, so i sold my L7 . This was mostly on grounds that my amp ran at 4 ohms mono and not 2 ohms, like the kicker needed, what I did not know was that the amp could also do 8 ohms and the Kicker, with voice coils wired in series, would do that. So, I lost money on selling the kicker to buy shocks, which was postponed subsequently by the crapping out of my alternator. So echo, as foolhardy as this may seem... I want my Kicker back. Plain and simple. I still have the box (which is for sale, still, bastard on ebay didin't want it).... But the problem at hand is an Infinity driver which no longer functions....

Well, the blown Infinity is totally gone now. It's a nice looking passive radiator at this point. I would like to re-coil it. Does anybody suggest this? I would take the cone assembly off, take the old coil off and spin myself a new coil with some copper wire. One of my friends did this with some success on a blown RF punch, but he lives in Florida now...

So the running question is:

Can I re-coil a subwoofer with copper wire? (If not to save money, to have a lil' techno fun?)

Now this thread definitely constitutes as an OH SH*T!

Both of the speakers are now blown.

I am so ****ing pissed!

THe other one is now crucchy and only responds when you press down on it.

Infinity has officially made my poo poo list.

However, this might be an offshoot of my alternator going bad... The amp was running on extremely low voltage (like 10.5) for awhile with the Infinitys hooked to it, and when the battery died there was a *pop*. I talked to an installer yesterday and he says this is the cause for the mayhem...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

LoudCrownVic

5,000+ posts
1/1 of Team Team Team
LoudCrownVic
Scales Bump, IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date