Official CarAudio.com Big 3 Thread

Just throwing in my .02 cents. I did part of the big 3 today only thing left to do is alt to bat and I can see a difference. The starter turns over so fast now and dimming is minimal. NOTICEABLE difference and my vehicle is only a 2008 so it's not that old. Can't wait to get my alt to bat finished.

This is the method I used and it works great and was the best way for me too on my 2008 Honda Civic lx sedan. My system is about 1000w so I only used 4gauge wire with 150A fuse to the alt. Had the charging system checked out at as Advanced Auto it read 14.45v no load, and 14.21v loaded with a/c on full and headlights on bright, but I didn't have my system on, I'm not sure what the voltage would be with the system on so I ordered a stinger plug into lighter hole voltmeter are they accurate?

I'm talking about a 2010 camaro ******
its the same thing.

do a run of 0 gauge from the alternator to the battery in the trunk.

find a good ground for battery in the trunk.

ground the engine under the hood to a solid ground.

same thing, see.

youd have to do a run of wire to get the power to the amps if your battery was under the hood anyways.

My battery goes to the engine block not chassis so can I just run the other ground chassis to engine block and then it goes engine to battery will this complete the circuit or do I need three grounds as battery to engine block engine block to chassis chassis to battery I just want to get it right I did the battery to engine block and my running volts are 13.8 so that did a lot by its self

I just finished my big three upgrade and I'm at 14.8 volts at idle but there is no rises when I rev it up to 2000 or 3000 rpm any ideas to why or should I just not worrie about it cAuse its up so high anyways

2 questions:

1: The 1/0g wiring I used between alt and batt+ says max load is 375A @ 20', I used 6' between alt and batt with an in line fuse holding 3 100a mini-anl fuses. I think I want to increase these to 120A fuses for a total of 360A, right?

2: Any harm in running an extra 4g wire from batt neg to ground? Have an open spot on neg terminal cover and enough 4g to run, I have some extra 1/0 but I don't think it's long enough.

000-024.png.html

What is a good spot to ground the battery to? My car is different from most it seems, I don't have a direct line from my battery positive to my alternator or an engine block to chassis ground. Instead there is 2 wires coming off the negative terminal, one goes to just some metal by the battery (chassis ground) and the other to a big bolt on the block. The positive I can't really tell where it goes but it's not to the alternator. It's a 2001 Lincoln Continental and I was talking to other owners of the same car and they said the computer can vary the charging voltage depending on system load and charge level of the battery.

Anyone done the big three for a 2010 -13 V6 Camaro ( 3.6L Version ). So far I have an aftermarket Pioneer touchscreen, Alpine type r components in the doors, stock rear deck speakers, and for awhile was running the Hifonics Brutus 1200.1D with Alpine Type-R, lights do dim after I reach a higher volume.
Side information... I love to listen to music loud, and everytime I am in my car the stereo is blasting. I am currently in the process of a big upgrade to 2 12" Audioque HDC 3.0's for the amp I am thinking the Audioque 2200D @ 1 Ohm on both subs. However I might eventually strap another of the same amp if I get the money so each sub gets their own. I want to be loud, and I want everyone to hear me.

Back to the business

What kind of electrical upgrades are recommended, since the car is fairly new I didn't think the big three would make that much of a difference but 0 AWG is better than stock I guess. Only thing is the battery is in the trunk, so would I have to run a wire from the Alt through the fire wall and somehow find a way to make its way into the trunk to my stock battery correct? So if anyone has done the big three for a 2010 -13 camaro that would be nice to have a chat, or get some info on whats the best route.

Also as far as other useful info that I need, should I do a H/O Alt or a New Battery? Either way its going to take some saving up to do either way.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!!
I own the same vehicle. The stock cable that runs from the alt to the battery is at least 2 gauge if not 1/0 so upgrading that isn't really necessary. I installed a memphis belle 5 channel amp that's about 1400-1600w total depending on the impedance your running and I have zero dimming at full tilt. The only thing I did was install an extra yellowtop optima in the trunk behind the amp.

When installing the big 3 does it matter the length of positive wire from batt to alt I mean if I try to hide the 1/0 I use about 7 feet if I go straight a ross the mototr I can do less just curious. Same for grounds is shorter better on grounds?? Thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...