Occasional Speaker Distortion Help

Participant count
  • Participant list

eomonroe00

NY
I just completed my first install. New cd head unit, rear deck, and front components, no amp.

It sounds good, but when playing loud, I will get distortion after about ten minutes. I try to isolate it using balance and fader, when separated there is no distortion when playing only the rear speakers, or only the front, or only the left side, or only the right side.

I only get distortion when I play music through all for, loud for around ten minutes.

Any thoughts. Did I not install it right? Do I have bad speakers?

Thanks

What kind of speakers did you buy. Are you using head unit to power speakers? If you are having distortion at loud volumes your head unit probably isn’t enough to power your speakers

I am using the head unit to power the speakers,

Head unit is 22 watts rmsx4 (Kenwood,

front component speakers are 60 watt rms, JBL

rear speakers are 80 watt rms , JBL

I am a newbie with this but I never thought too little power would be an issue, only too much. I assumed the only issue with too little power is that you could not reach the full potential of the speaker.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The problem is that your head unit is trying to keep up with the demand on the speakers and can’t push out the power that they are requesting. The higher you turn up that volume the more distortion, or clipping you are hearing. This is a sure fire way to send your new speakers to an early grave. Get a 4 channel amp

I am using the head unit to power the speakers, Head unit is 22 watts rmsx4 (Kenwood,

front component speakers are 60 watt rms, JBL

rear speakers are 80 watt rms , JBL

I am a newbie with this but I never thought too little power would be an issue, only too much. I assumed the only issue with too little power is that you could not reach the full potential of the speaker.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Nope, your head unit amp is stressed out and is sending dirty distorted power to the speakers. Anything distortion is mainly from a lack of power and an unclean signal.

thanks everyone.

i don't want to ruin the speakers. Would you guys recommend a 5 channel amp, if i plan to do a subwoofer in the near future, two separate amps?

thanks everyone. i don't want to ruin the speakers. Would you guys recommend a 5 channel amp, if i plan to do a subwoofer in the near future, two separate amps?
i have 450 watts going to each of my 6.5 speaker. You arent gonna ruin sh*t.

get a soundstream 900.4, cheapest good quality amp you can get. just because you have a lot of power doesnt mean you need to use all of it. When you have that much headroom you avoid any kind of dirty signal or distortion which are the things that actually kill your speakers. Clean power does not kill speakers anywhere as fast as dirty power. Always have A LOT more power than you ever need.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.