not the "normal" install.... would like opinions and some advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

campbell8402
10+ year member

my name is nate im new to the forum but no completely new to car audio. its been a while since ive had a system. and even when i had all my different systems i never really knew what i was doing...

being that im a broke husband and father im kind of keeping it on a budget (christmas present type budget). i really have no desire for am/fm or a cd player so here my idea/plan...

-My phone ad my source (pandora, mp3s etc..) NO HEADUNIT

-soundstorm lab s4eq

-mb quart onyx4.80 4channel amp 640rms

-soundstorm lab 6.5 components (rear only)

-and my "old" audiobahn aw1251q 12" 400rms/800max 4ohm dvc in a sealed box

the eq has sub/front/rear outputs and i will be using a 3.5mm to rca as an input

i plan to run the rear components using 2 channels and then bridging the other 2 for the subwoofer

here is where i run into my ??????

bridging the 2 channels will give me 320w at 4ohms according to the amp specs

obviously my sub wont match the best being that i can only wire it 2ohm or 8ohm

i plan to wire it 8ohm because i am worried about messing up the amp......HOW MUCH POWER WILL I LOSE?

also i have never had components (always regular old 2 or 3 way speakers)

with having the crossovers between the amp and the components what setting would i want on my amp/eq ? let it all pass through and the crossovers will do the work?

im sure i will have many more questions as people respond......

Why components in the back? just curious... any speakers up front? if not your sound stage will be all sorts of f^cked up.

Also... I wouldn't bother putting components in the back. Stick to coaxials, and components up front. Run the EQ with full frequency to your components and let the crossover do the work on that... then just run the EQ at low pass... or low pass on the amp while keeping the EQ full range.

I'm not sure how concerned you are for sound quality but a lot of people don't care for 3.5mm as an output.

/2 cents.

ya...usually ppl run front and no rears, not rears and no fronts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

would i be better off running them up front? i was running them in the rear for ease of istallation and its a 93 integra hatch so the rear speaker location goes right off the rear glass so i didnt think it's be horrible

Yea upgrading the rear speakers and not the fronts makes no sense, personally I dont even run rear speakers.

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

would i be better off running them up front? i was running them in the rear for ease of istallation and its a 93 integra hatch so the rear speaker location goes right off the rear glass so i didnt think it's be horrible
Thats probably the worst possible thing for sound quality, you want those upfront and amped up trust me, you will enjoy your car a lot more

Yeah, up front is always going to sound bette. Think about it, it's like a concert stage... the music should come from in front of you. Subwoofers produce lower frequency's that are much harder for our ears to localize so it's harder to notice where the sound is coming from.

I'd seal off the doors as much as possible (spray foam and sound deadener) run some components in them. I'd either completely leave the rear out or run some coaxils but with really low power (only use for fill)

For the sub, someone on this site should be able to get you box plans to make it sound good with little power. Your amp will handle 2ohm and you'll get more power out of 2ohms not bridged than you will on 8ohms bridged on that amp (I'm pretty sure) but I'll let someone else chime in on that who has more experience with this amp.

ok thats something i will change........ any answers on the subwoofer/amp? also im not looking for extreme quality or extreme bass i drive my car maybe 20-25 minutes a day im just going crazy with having nothing at all and doing it the way a described is gonna be right around $200

would wiring my sub paralell (2ohm) give me problems with my amp or burn it up faster persay? dont like the thought of that possibility

i know ideally i would buy a new sub thats a 2 ohm dvc or 4 ohm svc but the budget is very limited and again im not looking for ear rattling bass (though it would be nice)

thank i appreciate all the help......i always go by reviews online and obviously they are not always the best...

im not looking for amazing but i do want something nice

if i was to run the 6x9s in the back and components up front what would be my best way to wire it to the 4 channel (keeping sub)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

campbell8402

10+ year member
campbell8402
south carolina
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from