not sure ,clarify please

Participant count
  • Participant list
I want to set my high pass filters and crossovers etc from my head unit.obviously I need to bypass my amp so heres my question. amp is a ppi black ice 5 channel. the hpf for front and back on the amp has a two position switch which is hp/fp and lp/bp. i assume i want the hp/fp setting but how can the amp filter in hp and full pass at same time?Any clarification appreciated.

I want to set my high pass filters and crossovers etc from my head unit.obviously I need to bypass my amp so heres my question. amp is a ppi black ice 5 channel. the hpf for front and back on the amp has a two position switch which is hp/fp and lp/bp. i assume i want the hp/fp setting but how can the amp filter in hp and full pass at same time?Any clarification appreciated.
Just set the high pass very low. Its still full pass but its protecting stuff from playing way too low, deep in the bass region.

Technically the switch is labeled HP/FR, FR probably means "front", as in it disables the rear crossover, and uses whatever setting is on the front crossover. This is where the switch would be set if the amp was bridged to three channels. It's almost full pass, set the switch to HP/FR and set the front HP to 20hz, no midrange or tweeter should be playing that low anyway, then use the crossovers in the head unit.

Vaiboy you are correct. I never would have known.it makes better sense now.another question, if I run all five channels and use the amps controls instead of hu would I use the Lp/bp switch? I assume yes.thanks again.

It really depends on what speakers you are trying to run. If you connect a pair of tweeters to the front, and a pair of mids to the rear LP/BP is what you should use. If you connect four component sets with passive crossovers then HP/FR would be appropriate.

The set up I'm going to use will be tweets up front, components with passive crossovers in rear and a single sub in back.hu will be pioneer 80prs in standard mode with a five channel amp.I want to control hpf from head.

how does a high pass ,full range work at the same time on a pair of speakers? Its only a 2 way switch. slide it to the left its hp/fr, slide it to the right its lp/bp .when would I use lp/bp? this is for my rear where I have a component set.

The labels on that switch are odd, the HP/FR setting defeats the rear crossover but applies the front high pass to the rear channels. The LP/BP setting enables the rear crossover but it is technically always band pass, there's no way to have a true low pass on those channels, especially with 50hz as the lowest setting for the rear high pass. You would use the LP/BP setting if you were using the amp to power an active two way front stage, or a three way front stage with passive crossover for the mid/tweeter and midbass on the rear channels.

Yeah seems conflictig to me.I'm no expert at all but I know what sounds good to me.Im using the Hp/fr side.decided to full pass at head unit.muted each channel at the hu while I played with amp.dialed each channel in accordingly.this dang things banging.best its sounded in years.don't know if its the new radio or what.clean clear mids and highs. bass in the chest is powerful.I'm very pleased with this radio.I'm sure ill mess something up trying to tweek it more.need to write down my settings.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.