Not super happy with JL 12w3.. Looking for another 12

I have verified that the odd grinding noise when turning the knob from 0-1 is not the sub itself. It also made the noise using another subwoofer.

This means that either the cable on the knob is messed up (going to replace it with regular telephone cord wire and see if that helps), the knob itself, or the amp.

I'm going to turn the amp gain to 0 in a few and see if I get the grinding noise again. If I do, something must be up with the amp. If not, something with the knob or cable.

I know the JL can handle 500 watts however that is very close to its maximum range.On another note, my alpine amp has a gain control knob and when I turn it from say 0 to 1, the sub makes this odd grinding noise. Anyone know what that is? It doesn't do it when I turn the knob from 1-10. Only 0-1.
I run 800 rms to my 12w3v3 and it has no problems.. no bottoming out, no mechanical limit, no thermal limit...

Call JL Audio and have them send you a new one. Then take your small ****** box and BURN IT! Visit this site: atrendusa.com They have just what you need. They also do custom work. Ask for Jason. Tell him Luke referred you.

I had a small ****** sealed box like you. Drove to their warehouse on 6-3-13 (this Monday) and picked up my box for my 12W3v3-4

And now my ish slams and drops down to 33hz. I'm having them build me a custom box tuned to 27hz. Not sure if this is a good idea though.

Enjoy!

dude for the price you paid for that you got gipt go with the powerbass xxxl 12 or 15 its dual 1 or 2 ohms you choose wats best for your application your amp would be perfect for it in a 2 cf ported box for the 12 , 4 cf for the 15 just make sure not to set the gains too high into clipping it sounds horrible and tears up ur speaker get rid of the jl get ur money back to pay for this and a well built box , trust me youll be shocked by the sound

reporting back on this, the conclusion I came up with was the rux-knob was causing the grinding noise. Replacing the wire didn't help, but replacing the knob itself did. The sub no longer makes a grinding noise with the new knob.

reporting back on this, the conclusion I came up with was the rux-knob was causing the grinding noise. Replacing the wire didn't help, but replacing the knob itself did. The sub no longer makes a grinding noise with the new knob.
Still sound like it's bottoming out or anything? I ave mine in around the same sized sealed box running 800rms and it sounds great

Call JL Audio and have them send you a new one. Then take your small ****** box and BURN IT! Visit this site: atrendusa.com They have just what you need. They also do custom work. Ask for Jason. Tell him Luke referred you.
I had a small ****** sealed box like you. Drove to their warehouse on 6-3-13 (this Monday) and picked up my box for my 12W3v3-4

And now my ish slams and drops down to 33hz. I'm having them build me a custom box tuned to 27hz. Not sure if this is a good idea though.

Enjoy!

OP.....

DO NOT...... I REPEAT DO NOT...... get a ATREND enclosure. they are "pre fab" boxes. just get a custom one built or have some one on here design you a good box. there are plenty of people on here that can do it and give you the cut outs for the pieces and you can put it together yourself.

OP.....
DO NOT...... I REPEAT DO NOT...... get a ATREND enclosure. they are "pre fab" boxes. just get a custom one built or have some one on here design you a good box. there are plenty of people on here that can do it and give you the cut outs for the pieces and you can put it together yourself.
I don't plan on changing my components any time soon. My box was made from CustomBoxMan (or something like that) on eBay.. paid around $120 for it. It's a good box.

Still sound like it's bottoming out or anything? I ave mine in around the same sized sealed box running 800rms and it sounds great
Well, I ended up purchasing a SWR-12D4, I'm running 2ohms resistance to get 500 watts to it. instead of the 4ohm, 300 watts with the JL. Seems to have a little bit better punch than the JL did. I sold the JL to a friend who wanted it, he is happy with it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.