Not as much bass as expected

Hi guys,

I’m definitely a beginner when it comes to car audio. Here’s the jist of my situation:

I decided to tackle a subwoofer build. In the project I installed the Big 3 upgrade with 0 gauge CAD, aftermarket head unit, hifonics Brutus 2416 super class D, sundown audio SA-10 rev 3 (750 Watts rms), and designed and built my own. I am running the at 850 watts @ 4 ohms.

The problem:

After having the build for a month now I’m not as impressed with the bass response as I once was. I understand that this could be due to becoming acclimated to the sound system, but even for pushing the sub 100watts over rated rms in a very small cab (ford ranger ext cab) you would expect it to be more intense than it is. I am also fairly confident in the design of the sub enclosure because of long, careful hours of working with WINISD and google sketch up. Just in case this helps it’s tuned @34 hertz.

I’m wondering if it is possible that the hifonics amp, not being the most reputable brand, has something to do with the power output. When I tuned the amp I made sure to do enough research as I have heard some horror stories. The ‘gain’ filter is set at its most open or highest position and I am still not experiencing clipping of ANY sort. Does this seem unusual or is it that I am not that experienced and 850 Watts is not an especially big amount of power.

I am also wondering what you guys think about wiring the sub to the amp at 1600 @ 2 ohms.

Please only helpful comments and suggestions

Thanks for the help!

Does anyone recommend an amp that puts out reliable numbers? Whether it is cost efficient or not?...
oh yeah we can recomend several (guy here test amps has a utube channel) but what they saying is with box rise sub may only be getting 3-400 rms.. wire it to 1 ohm turn gain down to 1/4-35% see if that sounds better and learn how to adjust gain so amp don't clip don't turn hu volume over 75-80% max.. also do u have lp xover at like 80-120hz? if box is ported do u have the ss filter set close to port tuning or using it at all?

oh well i see i'm behind on this thread.. check your amp settings and here's a video to help u set gain at least close to where it should be use a 50hz tone i'd say a good setting for 700rms would be 26.4v or so (so 25.5-27 is good just don't go to high with hu volume)

Dude, get over it. I quit talking about it a day or two after I said something. You should do the same.
Nah man I rather not. $3 dollar breaks the bank and makes people cry...

but seriously not one person mentioned to tell this guy he posted it in the wrong section. I thought you trolls would have be on your A game with this.

Nah man I rather not. $3 dollar breaks the bank and makes people cry... but seriously not one person mentioned to tell this guy he posted it in the wrong section. I thought you trolls would have be on your A game with this.
I find it quite interesting to the fact that you refuse to let go the extra 4 bucks for paypal fees, as I have ( I let it go. I don't see why you can't do the same.) , and yet you come here "crying" over someone who posted in the wrong section. We have gotten used to it by now....doesn't bother us anymore. But....it seems to annoy you. There's always someone new posting in wrong section at least once a week. You have a choice to leave this forum, or go with the flow. Nobody is pointing a gun to your head and making you start a thread or reply. Bothers you that much, then don't come onto this forum. You need to seriously grow up.

The Hifonics amps in general are going to do much lower than rated on their output, but still should have plenty for that sub. For a reasonable amp I would highly recommend the Orion XTR2500.1Dz as it does over the rated wattage and can be found pretty reasonably. In my search for a reasonable amp output at a food price it is what I decided on going with. Amazon has it for 339.95.

The Hifonics amps in general are going to do much lower than rated on their output, but still should have plenty for that sub. For a reasonable amp I would highly recommend the Orion XTR2500.1Dz as it does over the rated wattage and can be found pretty reasonably. In my search for a reasonable amp output at a food price it is what I decided on going with. Amazon has it for 339.95.
do u have the electrical for that? xtr are strong but not efficient.. what subs u have that need 3k?

OP if you're still looking for an amp for that sub let us know what type of budget you're working with.

If you play clean and have decent voltage, that hifonics will be just fine with your application.

The XTR2500.1DZ is way overkill an XTR650.1 or 1500.1D if you want decent overkill but not insane.

do u have the electrical for that? xtr are strong but not efficient.. what subs u have that need 3k?
For me I have 2 Pierce Audio 10's but will be moving to the 2K 12's rather soon and powering each with one of the amps where it now is set to power the 2 x 10's that arte the 1K series

For me I have 2 Pierce Audio 10's but will be moving to the 2K 12's rather soon and powering each with one of the amps where it now is set to power the 2 x 10's that arte the 1K series
as long as u have big3 and 0ga and maybe ho alt and 2nd battery is all i'm saying..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.