Not as loud as anticipated?

muddin wolvy
10+ year member

I need some help hear...

I finally got my system hooked up, and it is loud and it does hit most all of the low notes, but it just seems like it isnt quite as loud as I was anticipating. My brother had 2 12" kicker CVRs and an Audiobahn 800 watt amp in his dodge stratus and it sounds like it was just as loud on the higher notes. Mine sounds better on the lows tho obviously.

My system consists of 2 SA-12s hooked up to a SAE-1200d. 0awg wiring power and ground. 8guage speaker wire to 4.5 cube 30hz box where it breaks up into 12guage wiring. Stock walmart battery up front. All I did was add a battery terminal to it. (136A alty). JVC hu w/ 2.5v RCAouts. All in a Dodge Durango, box is behind 3rd row of seats.

So why isnt it louder? I get rearview mirrow vibrations, but no major window flex or anything of the sort. The subs dont seem to have a lot of excurion either.

Forgot to add: The subs are freshly rebuilt. Could my problem be that they arent broken in yet? Just installed them today.

Would it be louder if tuned to a higher frequency?

TIA

usualy it is louder in a higher tuned box... my mindset is low tuning moves air, higher tuning hurts the ears... of course there are exceptions and medians, 30hz seems pretty low though, I would think 36~ would be better for your setup but I am no expert...

from my experience subs get louder as they losen up. did you set your gains/filters etc...

rearview mirror and flex doesnt mean anything man...
Ya i know, but it makes it look impressive.

subsonic set low mayb. gain set low. post a pic of your amp setings please
My ss is around 25 I believe, and my gain is set somewhat covservative. If I cant get it satisfactory tomorrow I will post some pics.

Its wired to one ohm Im 95% sure

Ya i know, but it makes it look impressive.

My ss is around 25 I believe, and my gain is set somewhat covservative. If I cant get it satisfactory tomorrow I will post some pics.

Its wired to one ohm Im 95% sure
how did you set your gain?

how do you not know 100% what it is wired to...?

not to be a dick but did you try anythign before jumping on here?

I need some help hear...
I finally got my system hooked up, and it is loud and it does hit most all of the low notes, but it just seems like it isnt quite as loud as I was anticipating. My brother had 2 12" kicker CVRs and an Audiobahn 800 watt amp in his dodge stratus and it sounds like it was just as loud on the higher notes. Mine sounds better on the lows tho obviously.

My system consists of 2 SA-12s hooked up to a SAE-1200d. 0awg wiring power and ground. 8guage speaker wire to 4.5 cube 30hz box where it breaks up into 12guage wiring. Stock walmart battery up front. All I did was add a battery terminal to it. (136A alty). JVC hu w/ 2.5v RCAouts. All in a Dodge Durango, box is behind 3rd row of seats.

So why isnt it louder? I get rearview mirrow vibrations, but no major window flex or anything of the sort. The subs dont seem to have a lot of excurion either.

Forgot to add: The subs are freshly rebuilt. Could my problem be that they arent broken in yet? Just installed them today.

TIA
i say get a line drive to get that to around 5-6 volts. i notice that a lot of the better amps don't respond well to lower voltage signals.

Okay Im 100% sure its wired to 1 ohm.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=42

used the top diagram for wiring.

When I set my gain I had it low to start off with to break in the subs, but then I kinda decided fu(k that and turned it up until I heard the slightest bit of distortion that I could hear and then turned it down a little bit. Might not be the best idea, but im a little impatient I guess.

What should my crossover frequency be set to?

And I have the bass boost on the amp all the way down, is that how it should be?

Thanks for all the help everyone

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddin wolvy View Post

I need some help hear...

TIA

i say get a line drive to get that to around 5-6 volts. i notice that a lot of the better amps don't respond well to lower voltage signals.
line drive? Not sure what you mean

line drive? Not sure what you mean
it's like an amp for your pre-amp outputs. it'll put those weak 2.5 volt out puts to atleast 5 volts. I do kinda agree with the above poster about the EQ but most EQ have only 1 set in and 3 sets out. I'd get a Audiocontrol 6XS or Audiocontrol EQS but those are way more costly than a line driver.

Do you think thats really what the problem is though? Wanna be pretty sure before I go out spendin more money.

Either way Im gonna wait a week and see if these subs loosen up any.

Might build a new box to 33hz or something. Idk. Only time will tell

see if someone local, maybe a buddy has a nice headunit with some 5volt pre-out and see if there is a difference. if there is a difference I was right, if not well back to the drawing board.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.