Not Amping Highs

Sem2005
10+ year member

TX
What do yall think about not amping the highs, here is my problem.... I bought an MTX8100D Amp and a Hifonics 64000 4 channel with Infinity Kappas 3 ways and 2 MTX Thunder 8000 12"s.....

I really dont want to have to get a new alternator and if i went with just the Mono sub amp then i would save in parts and the amount of current that the amps draw from my car. I am probably going to be getting a new car in about a year and a half. Please let me know how much differnce it will be in not amping the highs.

If your head unit has built in crossovers (high pass filters) then you will be able to turn the music up pretty loud without much distortion. I usually set my mids to 125Hz and up, then let your sub fill the missing bass.

Pioneer and Alpine have some pretty high wattage head units. Alpine has some 60 watt (max) head units, which is probably around 25 watts RMS. As long as you have the bass filtered out, the power from a good headunit can give some pretty clean and loud music.

Oh, and by the way, a 4 channel amp that is hooked to mids/highs doesn't really pull that much current. Not near as much as a sub amp. For example: you never see anybodies headlights dim except when the bass notes play.

If you ask me it is better to amp everything cuz you will be able to play anything louder thatn with the h/u's internal amp. Plus you get a better and more clean sound if you amp everything.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Well yeah, of course ampifying everything is better, but if you don't have the money the power from the head unit is OK to use. It's certainly better than stock!

I always amplify every speaker in my car, but there used to be a time when I was younger and couldn't afford the extra amp.

If I was on a limited budget, I would spend my money on a good headunit, a good sub amp, and a good sub, and of course good door speakers. Then you can add the mid/highs amp later on, when you get the $.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.