Noob Question on sub wiring

speedyturtle

South
Hey guys, Ive got a noob question for you pros. Ive just gotten a new sub and its a 4ohm DVC sub, unlike my previous little subs. Anyway im using a digram from crutchfield to wire it.

Since I'm new I cant use a link in my post so Ill try my best to explain it and not sound ridiculously unintelligent.

The diagram is One 4-ohm sub, bridged 2 channel amp: 8-ohm load.

It shows the bridged wires from the amp to the - and + connections on the sub, I understand all of that. But then it uses a wire to connect the other - and + connections on the sub. What kind of wire would I use for that? Again, I know it sounds stupid, but I need help!

All help is greatly appreciated!!

Wait a sec -

Your sub has two voice coils, both of which are 4 ohms? and you're wiring them so that the amp sees 8 ohms? I'm curious as to why the high OHHHHMAGE. what is your sub+amp?

I would not use less than 14 gauge for wiring any part of a sub. I have doubled up 16 gauge though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

i would imagine instead of wiring in parallel you would wire that sub in series so that you have a lower impedance. That way you will get more watts out of the system. the only reason i think you would increase ohms to such a high level is that you amp is wayyyy to powerful at four ohms. if that were the case I'd get a new amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

You just use the same type of wire you used for the sub, doesn't particularly matter what wire really, though it should be of 14g or larger. And you should be looking into wiring in series to get proper power out of your amp. Wiring in series to present a 2ohm load on your amplifier.

And you should be looking into wiring in series to get proper power out of your amp. Wiring in series to present a 2ohm load on your amplifier.
Wiring a d4 in series would be an 8 ohm load, did you mean parallel for a 2 ohm load?

You can go to sonic electronics.com and get a wiring diagram for your subs and possibly the specs for your amp..that may be a little easier to figure out than crutchfields wiring diagram..Doesnt hurt to do a little googling and get a diagram or/that is understandable for YOU to understand/see,and be able to achieve your needs/most of the components you have.We can tell you,but easier for you to be able to see, and visualize

Did any of you guys even read the original post? A bridged 2-channel amp is almost always good for 4-ohm operation at the lowest (Save for certain high quality, high power amps that are 2ch 1-ohm stable in stereo) Therefore he has chosen the correct impedance to run, 8-ohm. Dropping to 2-ohm would probably fry the amp.

Now, talking speaker wire size: 16 gauge is good for ~13amps. Lets just say an amp is good for 400w @ 4-ohm bridged. That's only 10A of current. (Pure sine wave at full volume) ... Which is lower than 16 gauge's rated current capacity. So everyone suggesting to only use 12ga, or bigger... Wow. You need to know the specifics of each setup to properly recommend speaker wire size.

To answer your question, speedyturtle, just connect the + of one coil to the - of the other coil with the same size speaker wire you are using.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.