Noob fell into some gold

EppNation

Let me start off my saying I am EXTREMELY mechanically inclined, and the only reason I have a "mechanic" is so I can call him to order me parts at his discount //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Alright, alright, may have over exaggerated that a lil, all I'm tryin to say is I learn and adapt quickly in an automotive environment. That being said, I have very little working knowledge on the vastness that is aftermarket car audio. I have always been content with what ever I had, but over the last few years, I have expanded my use of equipment.

So here's the situation:

Vehicle:

1997 Suburban K2500 LT

Head Unit:

Alpine CDA-9886 [almost] installed

I just picked up a pair of Alpine SPR-60s and SPR-60Cs, but the component's are missing the tweeters. Also a set of Kicker K410s for the 'back back' in the ceiling.

None of these speakers are yet installed. I just got them, and know I need an amp to make it worth while.

Also have [currently installed] a JL 15w3 powered by a Sony Xplod, not sure on it's model# but it's a 2 channel that's bridged for sub use. It's been 'on it's way out' for a while since I've had a Rockford Fosgate Power T10001bd ready to take it's place. Just haven't had the time (or the wiring).

What I aim to get out of you fine folks here on the forum is advice as to what 4 channel amp would best suit the needs of my equipment. I am already leaning towards the RF Power T8004 purely for aesthetics, even though it will be under seats //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Would the Alpine KTP-445A be enough, or does thinking that it would show how much of a noob I am at this haha.

Should I find myself an alternate new set of tweeters? Or will it even matter?

I know my current rear speakers (meaning the pair in the rear doors AND the ones in the ceiling) are on an auxiliary factory amp. I had to adjust my new metra harness when installing head unit to accommodate the remote turn on wire for it.

I'm assuming I'm going to have to disable or bypass this factory garbage somehow right?

I read somewhere that when you 'splice' on speakers to same connection, you cut your ohms in half, is this correct? Definitely something to keep in mind picking out an amp if so.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

My Tahoe had a factory amp powering the rear door speakers. Its a small silver box under the dash where the gas pedal is.

Those very back speakers in the ceiling I removed. Most sound will be in front. I got 2 amps under the rear seat hidden away.

What are 'CDT KA-61's? A google search results in nothing but references to forums, but never an actual product. I went so far into google, it started turning Russian!

Also, I don't want to loose my ceiling speakers, I want the sound even disbursed front to back. That's the thought anyway

What are 'CDT KA-61's? A google search results in nothing but references to forums, but never an actual product. I went so far into google, it started turning Russian!
Also, I don't want to loose my ceiling speakers, I want the sound even disbursed front to back. That's the thought anyway
you'd actually want the sound focused on the front a lot more. Proper way of doing it would yield results of that of a concert right on your dashboard. I'd recommend some vifa XT 25 tweeters to replace those alpine tweeters so you'll have some high frequency balance. For 4 channel amps, there's plenty to choose from, just need a budget.

528fab6d707a1ec7e33f534e9a861a9c.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

So where is the gold?
JL 15w3

RF Power 10001bd

Alpine SPR-60C

Do these not qualify as being "top tier"?

I know my headunit is 'meh', but I only paid $40 for it. I want a double din sat/nav but the custom fabrication involved is not something I have the time for currently (97 chevy truck = 1.75 din hole) and I want to see these android based units progress further than where they are now. Ideally something with OBDII and/or mobile security integration...

Everything else I've mentioned I say 'I fell into': meaning: was given to me, just for being my awesome self.

The most skilled and intelligent people in the world don't waste their time talking about how good they are, they focus on improving and getting better. There's a reason why hazardous attitudes are taught to pilots. I don't give a **** how smart the guy in the pilot seat is, if I see something wrong I'm going to tell him straight up without any concern for his ego.

Just some food for thought.

Your equipment is a step above the average walmart crap, but if you want to talk about top tier I surely hope you have tens of thousands of dollars to spend.

The most skilled and intelligent people in the world don't waste their time talking about how good they are, they focus on improving and getting better. There's a reason why hazardous attitudes are taught to pilots. I don't give a **** how smart the guy in the pilot seat is, if I see something wrong I'm going to tell him straight up without any concern for his ego.
Just some food for thought.

Your equipment is a step above the average walmart crap, but if you want to talk about top tier I surely hope you have tens of thousands of dollars to spend.
Am I the only person that doesn't think giving a direct answer to a question from another member ≠ "wasting my time talking about how good I am"?

Claiming myself as 'mechanically inclined' is the closest thing to a mention of my personal skills/abilities. The rest has been chatter of equipment, and no, please don't classify me the same as those yuppies with brand new jeep wranglers who dumped 30k in off road accessories who think they can just buy their way into the expert level. As much as there is no replacement for displacement, no amount of money and high tech toys are going to equate to experience and know how.

Maybe in the realm of those who spend tens of thousands of dollars on car stereo equipment mine looks a step above average walmart crap, but I still think that in the real world, I mean the consumer market, what has fallen into my lap is considered at minimum: "high end".

I came here to learn, not be lectured on the topics of pilot training. Maybe I'm in the wrong place.

you'd actually want the sound focused on the front a lot more. Proper way of doing it would yield results of that of a concert right on your dashboard. I'd recommend some vifa XT 25 tweeters to replace those alpine tweeters so you'll have some high frequency balance. For 4 channel amps, there's plenty to choose from, just need a budget.
I'll have my door panels apart this weekend. I'll take some measurements of existing tweeter location and make sure those Vifa XT 25's fit before I order them. Just did some reading on them, looks like exactly what I want! Thanks for the tip!

As far as budget, up to $300 on 4 channel amp. There is a JBL Power 300.4 on my local craigslist for $200. Doing some searching on it, lead me to someone selling refurbs of it for $150. Is this amp worth that? The only stats I have a decent grasp on is watts and crossover abilities..

Exactly how I have it in my sig..."comps" Component speakers from CDT Audio. You won't find them because they've been discontinued for a long time now. But, they packeged them nice and came with grilles and everything. I was surprised. CDT Audio takes the time to invest $$ in their comp sets and packing material.

Your gonna have a hard time getting those "ceiling speakers" to have the same sound coming from the rest because your gonna lose time alignment....because they're so far back, might need a lil more power than normal to "keep up" with the rest. That said, how do you plan to run 6 speakers at the same time? 6 ch amp or...??

The 1st version 15w3's....I had 2 and they're no joke. They like to be tuned low. I managed a 146 outta 2 sealed off a 1500 watt amp in the back of my s10 blazer. They can get loud but don't like a lot of power to them.

Exactly how I have it in my sig..."comps" Component speakers from CDT Audio. You won't find them because they've been discontinued for a long time now. But, they packeged them nice and came with grilles and everything. I was surprised. CDT Audio takes the time to invest $$ in their comp sets and packing material.
Your gonna have a hard time getting those "ceiling speakers" to have the same sound coming from the rest because your gonna lose time alignment....because they're so far back, might need a lil more power than normal to "keep up" with the rest. That said, how do you plan to run 6 speakers at the same time? 6 ch amp or...??

The 1st version 15w3's....I had 2 and they're no joke. They like to be tuned low. I managed a 146 outta 2 sealed off a 1500 watt amp in the back of my s10 blazer. They can get loud but don't like a lot of power to them.
Well, eventually I was wanting to have the 'ceiling speakers' hinged so with barn doors open, they can face out the rear. For tailgates, lake parties and what not. Actually thinking that through a little further now that I am buying equipment, I'm going to want them to have a front channel feed for this purpose right?

How do I plan on running 6 speakers? The details to this answer I'm hoping to figure out here on this forum. I know my factory setup takes the rear feed into an auxiliary amp which feeds all 4 (rear doors and ceiling). Am I going to have to replicate this with a 2nd 4 channel amp? One with 1 input?

Why can I not just connect 2 sets of leads to the amp to power 2 sets of respective speakers?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.