noob-e simple question

dontpushme
10+ year member

so, cal
alright my simple question if i have an amp that will handle a 1 or 4 ohm load what happens when some novice/idiot (me) installs a sub that could only be wired for 2 or 8 ohms. will this case damage to my new amp or what?

ipostedthisquestionsomewhatearlieronadifferenttread.

No. If you have an amplifier that is stable with a 1 ohm load in a given number of channels, then any load that is higher should be perfectly fine (higher being higher ohm number).

does this means my new pioneer gm7100m amp is toast before i even get started. i installed it properly to my jl audio 12w3v2-d4 and i hear very very very little volume.

man this is driving me nuts a brand new amp and its not working man this *****. Do you think that amp could be defected. or is there something i should check.

You should check your ground wire coming from the amp to a part of the car. Make sure you've grounded it securely to a good place and have scraped all the paint off. The difference can be night and day depending on how well it's grounded. Make sure the amp is also powering up and double check all your wiring.

i was thinking it may be the ground.... i will relocate it tomorrow to see if that makes a different. the sub was wired for 2 ohm set up the only other way to wire it would be for 8 ohms. i will recheck all the connections to hope it makes a diff.

Make sure you don't have it set to 8 ohms //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Also check to make sure that your gain and lowpass settings are appropriate as well as your head unit controls.

ok i did wire for 8 at one time this is after i tried everything and trust me it did not last 5 min. i think the amp was defected. igoing to relocate my ground with 6 gauge wire tomorrow if noyhing comes from that i just going to return it.

amp: pioneer gm7100m / sub: 12w3v2-d4

wire coming off battery 6awg (5") into fuse holder (30amp fuse)

8awg out of fuse holder powering amp

6awg ground

amp power light comes on, iam able to hear some sound but very very little volume is very low(lower than stock system not powered)

one thing that was not mention pioneer say in there instruction manual that you had to use a special power wire it basicly has two 30 amp fuses on one end. could this simple wire cause my head aches. rd233 red wire.

will not using this wire cause some type of damage to the amp.

one thing that was not mention pioneer say in there instruction manual that you had to use a special power wire it basicly has two 30 amp fuses on one end. could this simple wire cause my head aches. rd233 red wire.
Not familiar with that instruction, try contacting Pioneer about that. Not sure if you'll see much difference, but the entire run of wire should be the same gauge. Have you tried your gain settings?

That amp is specced for 360 continuous at 2 ohms, the sub seems to be a pretty good match to that. My bet is that it's all settings, or enclosure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.