No sound out of speakers

Ashon1980

Hello. I installed a new head unit in my 2003 Nissan xterra. I used a wire harness adapter and properly hooked all the wires up. I have no

doubt. The head unit has powe but no sound. When I replace factory head unit the sound is fine. I read on your forum that it could be a internal amp. But I'm not sure that applied to me. Any advice?

Some harnesses that contain chime modules have a gain knob on them, which comes turned all the way down from the factory. Check that out as it may solve your issue. I'd also investigate a stock amp in your vehicle, does your HU say Bose or any other audio name on it? You can prolly find that info on some xterra forum also. If you do have a stock amp, you may need to attach the stock remote wire to your new HU separately from the harness as the harness may not accommodate for that.

Turns out I do have a stock amp. I'm not sure what you mean by stock remote wire. Can you elaborate?
Any wires left over that weren't used in the harness? I ran across the same problem and figured it was the one wire left over as well as the amp's ground.

Orange - which is an illumination dimmer

Blue/white - amp 12v

Black/white - amp ground.

So I need to wire my factory amp in using those two wires then?

so you're saying you didn't connect the blue/white or black/white, and these wires are on the vehicle harness? if so, then the factory amp is not getting power. ground the factory black/white with the head unit ground. you need to verify if the factory blue/white is amp power or amp turn-on. wire it to the head unit remote turn-on (blue/white) if it is a turn-on lead, or the head unit ignition (red) wire if it is a power lead. start with red as that is the safest. if you do connect the head unit blue/white, put a 0.5A inline fuse on it.

so you're saying you didn't connect the blue/white or black/white, and these wires are on the vehicle harness? if so, then the factory amp is not getting power. ground the factory black/white with the head unit ground. you need to verify if the factory blue/white is amp power or amp turn-on. wire it to the head unit remote turn-on (blue/white) if it is a turn-on lead, or the head unit ignition (red) wire if it is a power lead. start with red as that is the safest. if you do connect the head unit blue/white, put a 0.5A inline fuse on it.

That was it exactly. Thank you so much keep_hope_alive. I now have a functioning custom head unit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.