No Sound from Speakers in Bench Tests

Participant count
  • Participant list
I am trying to power a car radio from a 2004 Jeep Wrangler using a PC power supply as I do not have an alternate 12 volt supply. I do not have the original female header from the car, so I only have the pins from the radio to work with. After some research I came across the pinout diagram from my poarticular model of radio. I was able to power the display backlight, the lcd screen which shows the clock, radio stations, and other normal HUD displays. I also was able to get the CD player to accept and return CDs. My problem is that when I finally hooked up speakers to the available pins, I was not able to produce sound. I can hear a slight static sound coming from the speakers, which I believe to be proof that the speakers are on. I used multiple different sources of audio like the CD player and the radio with antennae(FM and AM). The speakers are not disfunctional as I tested them with several other appliances and I used other speakers with the same results. I have checked and re-checked my wiring and used multiple different alligator clips to ensure a strong connection. I have some guesses for why I am having this problem which include the PC power supply is not offering enough current to power the entire radio, but I have not been able to find a better source of power. Any responses will be appreciated because I am desperate at this point. Thank you.

It sounds more like an mA issue more so than a voltage issue, as it powers some things but not all. I would look for a power supply similar to what you have and just try to find one rated at a higher mA output. This should be clearly marked on the part that plugs in to your source. Also, I would not continue to test with your current power supply. Underpowering a unit is sometimes just as bad as overpowering one. Hope this helps!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.