no power getting to amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

budman88

NC
This is my first time installing anything myself, so I probably messed something up myself. The problem is after I installed this brand new amp, I get absolutely nothing. No sound (except for the cars original spreakers) to my 2 new speakers, no power indidicater light comes on, no nothing. I hooked the hot wire directly to the battery. This wire has a fuse that is supposed to protect the cars battery (but I didn't have one in there to begin with). The 2 new speakers I bought, I soldered those to the manufacturers speakers ( I just bought this car new and I thought it would be cool to put together a nice system pieces at a time). I have the ground wire attached to a bolt on my trunk. I checked the fuse for the amp itself and it isn't blown. I checked that because I attached the hot wire to the battery before I grounded the amp. I'm not totally sure I have the speaker wires hooked up for the right polarity, but I thought the amp should still be getting some juice. Since I installed this amp to the manufacturers radio I couldn't just plug the amp up to the radio, because the radio has no place to plug up to. Did I do something wrong or could it be the amp is just no good (this is a brand new amp though). I would appreciate any input, thanks.

There's one more wire you need to hook up - the amp's "remote" wire. That's what makes the amp turn on. Wire it to a 12 volt source that's hot when your ignition is on. The factory radio's power antenna wire is perfect for that if you have one. Otherwise, most people use a separate switch for it.

The fuse is usually used to protect the amp. If you use a separate switch, just make sure you have it in an easily accesible place. In my experience, the wires on the switch will sometimes come loose causing a nasty headache. And, yes, the power antenna is a good place to start unless the antenna goes down when you play a tape or CD.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.