Newer Cars Can't Fit DIN Or Double DIN

Concert D Major

USA
I wish I could get one of those stereos you see at Wal-Mart, but the problem is, newer cars have the stereo embedded into a screen with the backup camera and all the car settings. And sometimes they're a weird shape or size. So there's no way to just swap out a DIN or double-DIN sized head unit like the good ole days. So what do we do? Unless your car is like 8+ years old, you basically can't buy an aftermarket stereo. What a shame. We're basically stuck with the stock factory radio. Mine's a 2013 Accord and the kit that Metra made never worked right. Plus you lose the steering wheel controls. Whadda bummer!

What features are you looking for out of a new radio? A good dsp/loc combo will get you what you need if you are looking to add amps. Some will have AUX/Bluetooth if you are looking for that.

Rip it all out (what i generally do)and start from scratch or utilize what you have
Easier said than done. My turn signals sounds and other beeps come from stock HU. Nevermind the fact that almost all of the cars settings are set via the HU. And its only going to get worse. Look at the Tesla 3.

I wish I could get one of those stereos you see at Wal-Mart, but the problem is, newer cars have the stereo embedded into a screen with the backup camera and all the car settings. And sometimes they're a weird shape or size. So there's no way to just swap out a DIN or double-DIN sized head unit like the good ole days. So what do we do? Unless your car is like 8+ years old, you basically can't buy an aftermarket stereo. What a shame. We're basically stuck with the stock factory radio. Mine's a 2013 Accord and the kit that Metra made never worked right. Plus you lose the steering wheel controls. Whadda bummer!
bypass the stock head unit completely with a bluetooth dongle to dsp to amp.

Replace front speakers only, go 2 or 3 way active network crossovers. Leave the rear speakers on stock head unit power so you still have bluetooth function with the stock head unit. No need to splice into any wire or any kind of bullsh*t. Will sound 1000x better than any line out convertor or head unit combo out there because DSPs > head units.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.