Newcomer needs feedback on the planning of significant 15" car-trunk upgrade. Thanks

Participant count
  • Participant list

ingramc803

Hello All, This is my first post and I am hoping for some feedback concerning the wisdom of my desired system upgrade.

Because I am not too familiar with car audio, or anything to do with electricity for that matter, I probably don't know all the lingo or even fundamental concepts. So thanks for your patience with my ignorance.

I Drive a 2004 Honda Accord Sedan, and am thinking about putting in a perhaps over-zealous subwoofer system into it. I was fortunate to come into possession of a Rockford Fosgate T2500-1bdCP amplifier in like new condition.

As a bass lover I am thrilled, but I think this amp is too powerful for my 2 12" Kicker L5s currently in use: so I am considering a major upgrade. Because this build may not be plausible, and if so the finances needed to fully realize my goals will be slow in coming I was hoping to get some knowledge from this community before making any decisions.

Here are my current plans/hopes:

1. Replace stock alternator with a High-out put aftermarket model.

2. Upgrade to a high drain battery.

3. optimize the efficiency of audio wiring. (Big 3?)

4. Replace Kicker subs with something capable of optimizing the output of the T2500.

5. Build custom ported box for a trunk build to optimize the performance of the sub to meet my preferences.

6. Utilize the sub and amp to the best of my abilities by "turning up" while driving during the day-to-day.

I am not concerned so much with SPL or big decibels, but rather with a relatively good SQ with the capacity to turn heads when needed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. My musical tastes center around rap, especially southern rap, and hip-hop influenced EDM. I really Like Chopped and Screwed music and am lookin for a sub that can shine in the lower frequencies but still be capable of hitting the higher frequencies.

So here are some (many) questions I have:

1. Is it even possible to fit a 15" sub and 3-5 ft^3 ported box in the trunk of a mid-sized sedan?

2. The Subs I was looking at were the Nightshade V3, the Fi Sp4, or the Crossfire XS V2 because many on here claim they have decent SQ with an emphasis on the lower frequencies.

Are these subs even compatible with my amp? Does any of these have a clear advantage considering what I need/want relative to cost? Am I missing an obvious option? All feed back is welcomed!

3. Once I pick a sub, how should I go about planning my enclosure? Would it be worth the extra money to let a "professional" design and build it? Is it something a mechanically challenged person like me is capable of doing? Perhaps contracting one of the more knowledgeable members of this community to design it and then build it myself? etc.

4. would the increased bass necessitate an additional multi-chanel amp for the front component speakers to keep up?

5. My car already rattles, would a sound dampening overhaul be necessary?

6. Etc, Etc.

Obviously the answers to these questions will spur more research and in turn more questions, but I could use some direction and knowledge from the community because I am pretty clueless and don't know where to begin most of this research efficiently.

Thanks in advance for your advice, feedback, criticism, and ridicule.

You can pull out all of the panels and use dynamat ETC to help with that issue. You could buy 2 SQ hdc3 12's they could take that amp with no problems. Or a single 15 like you said.

There are so many different companies to buy from. I would def upgrade the battery upfront, I was looking at batteries last night myself.

I did 2 installs into a Honda 2004 sedan actually

the 1st was an RD Audio 15" driver back , port to drivers side corner , with a planet audio 1500 .1 stock battery , stock alt , big 3 , 0 awg power ground

then that was not enough so Gene wanted more

2 x Audioque HDC 3 12" , ported drivers & port facing rear , crunch GP3000.1 D ground pounder , 3 stinger yellow tops SPV 35 , stock alt , 0 awg power and ground

yes you can use the RF 2500 on a 15" sub in your Honda set your gains correctly , you should use 2 batteries 1 under hood and 1 in trunk , you should get a HO alt, 0 awg + & - , big 3

1. Yes it is possible. I fit a 15 in my pontiac Fiero.

2. The Sundown Nightshade is more of an SPL sub, not SQL. Go with the Z4 instead. It will shine on that Rockford amp.

3. If you've never built an enclosure, have a professional build it! You will be a lot happier with the sound. I would normally recomend you build your own, but most people start with some small subs like Alpines and work their way up. You're starting in the high dollar range.

4. If SQ is what you're after, probably. However, when you increase power to your component speakers, your subs will not sound as loud.

5. Sound dampening would be a good idea if you're putting this much into a system.

Awesome, thanks for the quick responses. I suppose the more I think about it I'm will be more interested in SQ than SPL as I'm hoping the power and quality of the speaker will more than meet my needs for being loud and obnoxious. That being said the Z4 does sound like it might be a better option than the Nightshade.

But what about the SP4 or XS V2? I think the Crossfire is probably out of my price range unless I can find a good deal on a used one, but would the T2500 have enough juice to efficiently power the SP4?

What are the thoughts on buying used subs vs. spending extra money to get them new? Is it possible to get them lightly used and in good condition?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.