Newb with newb question

it only has 1 channel. Whats the impedance of the subs? if they're dual 4 ohm, wire the voice coils in parallel to 8 ohm, then plug each wofer into the amp. Each "channel" is actually just an input that will be bridged in parallel inside the amp, so the amp will bridge the subs to 4 ohms.
If you have dual 2 ohms, do the same thing, and the amp will bridge it down to 2 ohms.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

he will want to run his subs in parallel so he can get the max output from his amps and subs if they are dual 4 or dual 2.

it only has 1 channel. Whats the impedance of the subs? if they're dual 4 ohm, wire the voice coils in parallel to 8 ohm, then plug each wofer into the amp. Each "channel" is actually just an input that will be bridged in parallel inside the amp, so the amp will bridge the subs to 4 ohms.
If you have dual 2 ohms, do the same thing, and the amp will bridge it down to 2 ohms.
this is wrong- not what he said but he used the wrong terms. Wire the voice coils on each woofer in series to achieve an 8 ohm load and then hook both subs up to the amp for a 4 ohm load at the amp (if you have dual 4 ohm subs)

It is the same procedure if you have dual 2 ohm subs, but the amp will "see" a 2 ohm load instead of 4ohms

Crutchfield will be a great help to explain how to wire them exactly

I guess these are my options. So do I actually have to T certain wires together? Also, which set-up should I go with?

1.gif

3.gif

2.gif

go with the 2 ohm load, and you can make the "t" by joining the wires together on the crimp . the .5 load will let the smoke out of your amp and you won't get full power from an 8 ohm load.

Are you sure you have a 500/1? it should only have 1 + and 1 - (it's a mono amp) and by crimp I mean when you crimp on spade terminals to your speaker wire so they slide on the terminals, if it has spring terminals then twist the wires together and jam both in the hole. Does the 500/1 have high level inputs? if so you are looking at the wrong terminals.

Okay, I went to jl's website and looked at the amp and it makes sense you only need to use 1 of the + and 1 of the -, they just made it easier to run subs in parallel at the amp. So, do you have the dual 2ohm voice coil subs or the dual 4ohm?

The 500/1 has 2 outputs that it combines in a paralel circuit internally, so if he wires each woofer in series to where they're both 4 ohms, then he puts a wire from each woofer into the amp, it will bridge them in parallel to achieve a 2 ohm load. Many mono amps do that nowadays.
yeah you got in before I edited myself after looking at JL's website. Cool bro

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.