Newb question...What does a burning voice coil smell like?

Big GeRm
10+ year member

Das ist ein BEFEHL!!
I have had a alpine type-r with a bad voicecoil in a sealed box...but it never emitted any smoke or smell...

I got a new type-r but now i went from sealed to vented a few days ago (Might i add i am VERY happy with the new box)

I'm sure what i smell in the car is the box...but i just want to be sure

My subwoofer doesnt distort at all...so my guess its the box.

A burning voice coil smells like your moms azz!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

That "smell" is actually the glue getting really hot and the fume is poisonous if I remember right.

Plug a cheap speaker into the 120v AC outlet and you can check it out yourself. Make sure the outlet is on a breaker though haha.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.