New wiring for a new alternator

Participant count
  • Participant list
I'm looking for some info on what gauge wire and fuse I should use to replace the original wiring when I install my new high output alternator. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this?
What the amperage rating of your alternator? You will want to use 1/0AWG OFC, which is rated for 300A. Many people don't fuse from alt to battery if they are both under the hood, but if you do, use a 300A fuse. If your alt is rated for over 300A, you will want two runs of all wires. Go with RAM_Designs for a kit, custom made:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/electrical-wiring-classifieds/555346-custom-big-3-kits-ofc-cca.html

There's a fusible link in there originally. I was thinking it was there for a reason so I should probably put a fuse in there. I only got the 180 amp; since the system I'm building isn't as big as some of the guys on here. Plus when I'm using the trail welder or air compressor I wont have the radio on anyways.

It's up to you man, fusing is always safe. Many don't run a fuse up there, I know I don't, as there is fairly minimal chances for a short. Either way, 1/0ga is the wire size you will want. 300A fuse for OFC wire, 250A fuse if you use CCA. If you decide on RAM_Designs, he'll take care of you. Or you can do it yourself, it's not hard.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.