New to high end car audio scene, will exit from it fast.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Doc Fluty

I shoot cars for magazines. This months cover of Modern Mopar Magazine features my work as well as recent features in Rides, Texas Finest, ect. After doing this for about 7-8 years I decided I wanted to build a cover car for myself with the hopes of maybe PASMAG or similar audio related magazines.

So after the custom made forged wheels, suspension work, engine goodies and more I decided to get a full on bad *** audio build. I have never had a high end car audio build before so the whole experience was new to me. I watched youtube videos from Car Audio Fabricators and others describing best practices during installation and solid brands to choose from. So one night late night I researched a set of Focal KRX3 3-way components and found a good price from amazon.com. I spend at least $500 a month from amazon and have always had issues easily resolved if something popped up.

Well, sure enough after getting the speakers installed by an authorized Focal dealer (I didn't know of one local when buying from amazon before) it seems I blew the 6" 3/4 woofers using the factory head unit. I posted a video online of the sound using a 60hz tone via youtube so people can hear the noise and advise me if it was blown or what. I got blamed for blowing them because I used the tone. I just wanted to listen to the speakers I bought 3 months prior and knew the amps wouldn't be done for at least another month or more, so i thought the head unit would be fine. I was wrong. I never played tones through the woofers, i just did it for that one video because i thought people wouldn't hear it through the music via my phone camera.

I imagined if i bought a TV, baby swing or rice cooker and it just stopped working after 45 days, I would assume some sort of facotry repair or help... but Focals answer (and people here) was "you're SOL, you should have known better than to buy from amazon, buy another set for $500".

Moving forward to the trunk build. The local Focal authorized dealer was supposed to call me after they got done with a Lexus install in january to let me know when to bring my car in for them to hook up the Focal Amps, 33kx sub and Audison Bit One I bought from them.

After a month of no call and the stuff just sitting in my garage, I call them to ask if they forgot about me. Well, seems they were waiting for me to call and that guy with the lexus never even dropped the car off and blah blah.. month wasted. So i take my car there and drop it off to get the trunk done.

I stop by two weeks later and we have a piece of wood in the trunk with the amps screwed into it, that's about it. I stopped by a week later and some body filler was done. I remind them that this build was to be done by next wednesday for a cross country trip to a large show I was going to. After speaking to the fabricator about it he tells me that he keeps getting pulled off the build to do deck installs and fuses and they are just not letting him work.

I talk to the front guy about it and he says that's what happens when you drop the car off feb 5th, after all it's his busy season. I reminded him that's why I wanted to drop the car off in January but they told me to wait for the lexus.

So the day I go to pick my Challenger up I see 3 people back there working. It has been one guy for months back there but all of a sudden two other guys have been pulled from another store for help to get my stuff done wednesday night. Thursday morning I was having an exhaust put on and friday was leaving for a 4000 mile trip.

So things are still being worked on wednesday night. The paint I was supposed to get never happened and they covered it in suede. They ask if i can bring it in thursday to tune the audison, I say fine. Once we fire it up the fancy Focal 33kx rattles like crazy. The installer says he thinks the spider is coming lose or whatever, so obviously they can't tune it.

Since I was leaving for California the next day they couldn't overnight a new woofer so the guy on the phone (orca rep?) told me to just go into a local focal dealer when in SoCal and they will swap it out for me when i get there. So i call up multiple focal dealers in SoCal and they all offer excuses as to why that can't be done. Many just didn't have one in stock and the others didn't want to have to eat the cost of the woofer if it was the original shops installations fault and instructed me to call Focal directly to see if I can just stop by the factory.

So i call the factory and they tell me how they don't usually work directly with the public, don't have any 33kx in stock and I would have to mail them my woofer so they can test it to see what is happening. So, basically I'm out of luck, again. They is no way to get me a woofer in time for the show. The Focal rep said he would offer a swap of the new Focal K2 sub but it is a 12 inch and not a 13 like i have so it won't fit in my installation.

So, i go to the show, tell everyone who has been following my build on my facebook fan page, forums, ect how much of a headache this build has been. How I spent over $8500 on a set of front components speakers and one sub and can't seem to get right.

I get back home and drop the woofer off last week Wednesday to be shipped off to focal and called today (tuesday) and they still have it at the store. It wasn't shipped because they didn't have an RMA since easter jacked up the schedule with Focal... so i missed the Mopar show in New Orleans the week before, the Battle in Bama this past weekend and I guess a few more upcomign national car shows because I don't suppose i'm getting a new woofer anytime soon and have a big hole back there.

Truth be told though, I'm not mad at the shop... I can see how some things turned out. However, I really think if they didn't wait to fire up the sub the day I was leaving after having the car for a month we could have caught the issue sooner.

I'm not even mad at Focal... I can see that my woofer is being discontinued and how not many dealerships would have a $1000 woofer sitting around. But I don't like that it seems that every dealership and even Focal wanted ME to call around to dealers looking for a sub woofer. I can't imagine many other industries in which the customer is told to call random shops until he can find one that can help. I would have like for someone to say "I understand sir, let me find one for you and get back to you".

My car was prominently featured at that Mopar show in Irvine. I had an interview about it with Fiat Corporate (check their youtube page) and even discussed it with the Head of design for Dodge and SRT Mark Trostle, Jeff Gale (head of design at chrysler) and other representatives from Mopar as well as other SEMA quality car builders who I have met through my photography. Everyone agreed that it looked awesome... but when they asked if I could turn it on I had to explain to them the embarrassment that would ensue if I did.

All that being said, as someone who build custom cars every 3-4 years, I can see why there is often less than 5% of cars at the national shows that I go to that have full audio builds. At the most I see is a amp, couple of kickers and the logo of the car maker embossed somewhere.

I doubt I ever do a high end car audio installation again because of this headache. I'm sure the shop where I bought all of this gear is tired of seeing me. But what am I supposed to do when I pick the car up after a month and the $1000 woofer is blown? I get the feeling that I am becoming a "problem customer" even though I haven't set out to be that way.

I know of at least 3 other high end car owners who have SEMA builds say they have skipped audio builds because of watching my issues from september-march. One other guy said he will only do what companies give him in sponsorship products, he won't spend his own money on it.

Side note: some credit goes out to Hybrid Audio for reaching out to me about swapping out my focals, but I had to turn them down only because i didn't want to have to rebuild the custom a-pillars and doors again. So some companies seem thoughtful. I i do decide to do audio builds again, I will give Hybrid Audio strong consideration based on their customer service even though I wasn't a customer.

I really like car audio, I already have ideas on ways I want to redo the trunk, but because of cost, location, ect I don't think I can put myself through that again. I'm considering buying a router and learning woodworking myself through CAF and other means lol.

this long *** thread wasn't mean to lay blame on Focal, the shop or absolve myself of being naive. I just wanted to express why someone who wants to get into car audio will leave the audio scene and probably speak unfavorably of it going forward.

Here is a picture of my car as it sits now and a shot of the good looking, but almost divorce causing Focal installation.

Thank you for taking the time to read. If you want to see more of my photo work or to follow along of future mods follow me at http://www.facebook.com/docfluty

TX5dCBB.jpg

udANs9z.jpg

Here's how I look at it.

People who go to shops and get stuff done are more likely to break stuff and/or not appreciate it. You'll either push it too hard and break it, or not know how things work and be disappointed with the performance.

I would always recommend that people don't start by throwing a bunch of money into the hobby and/or buying expensive stuff right off the bat.

Here's my step-by-step advice for starting the hobby of car audio:

1. Get a shitty amp and sub off craigslist, from a pawn shop, a friend you know, or cheap on the forums here.

2. Skimp on wire. Get cheap CCA crap 4 gauge, but use fuses that will protect things if there is a short circuit.

3. Hook everything up and keep the gain low.

4. Adjust the gain and/or your volume up more and more over time.

5. Install a volt meter so you can monitor your crappy stock electrical system's voltage.

6. Learn to determine what a safe volume and gain setting is. If the sub starts sounding bad/weird/different, then turn something down! If your voltage sucks, could be clipping too. If you break something, learn from your mistake and figure out why it happened. Don't just replace what broke and expect the replacement to last if you didn't figure out why it broke.

7. After you ask questions and fix shit, get rid of your budget poverty sound system. Sell it to a friend, on the forums, to a pawn shop, on craigslist, or throw that junk in the trash!

8. Buy something better and build your own enclosure.

9. Upgrade whenever you feel like it and have money. Sell your old stuff to help pay for new stuff. Hopefully you've learned enough at this point that you don't end up breaking anything good.

10. Congratulations bitch!

Installing things and setting them up yourself gives you a feel for things more than just paying money and cranking your volume knob "cuz it makes the music louder"

Hopefully you've learned something.

Sorry to hear that man. It definitely looks like a sweet ride, but what a **** headache!

I think this story is a great example of why most of us will never let an audio shop touch our cars. They do a half *** job or give you excuses. Most audio shops should honestly not be allowed to install or build a high end system (I say most because there are a few that actually do very good quality work, but not many). They are good for people who want a new deck or some new speakers, but most shops will fall extremely short when it comes to custom high end work. I can't even begin to tell you how many shop installs I've seen that are just a mess.

I hope everything else in the future goes much smoother. I can't even image spending that much money to go through all of that. I'd personally rather spend 1/4th of that cost and do it myself. Even though it normally takes much long to do it yourself, it will almost always turn out better than what a car audio shop can do. Just takes patience and the willingness to learn new skills to complete the install at hand, which unfortunately not everyone has the time to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bummer story. You're not alone in your frustration with having builds take longer or having parts fail.

My first recommendation to people is if you intend on having a shop do the work, buy all of the equipment from them as it simplifies the warranty process. Many shops won't install gear not purchased from them simply due to the liability if it doesn't work. You seem to know that already and did learn the hard way.

I highly doubt a factory head unit blew the Focal woofer. There simply isn't enough power there and it would have sounded awful for a long time before the woofer gave out. There are many reasons why a woofer can sound poor and most of it relates to installation methods. Sometimes, you get a bad speaker.

Hybrid Audio is a fantastic company with great customer service and many of their dealers are some of the best installers in the country.

You (and anyone) can certainly expect that spending a lot of money on nice equipment that is "professionally" installed should be a pleasant experience. You are always at the mercy of the generosity of that specific installer. They can take their time or they can cut corners you won't see (but will experience). My recommendation, for anyone, is to build a rapport with the installer prior to starting the work and to have a schedule that allows for random issues/part failures. You certainly tried that but it didn't work out for you. The installer should have made it work, on time.

The install does look nice.

Sounds to me like you had a half assed shop do the install...I'm not familiar with Focal speakers/subs but I have an MB Quart 10" sub that is over 15 years old and still works great. My car's speakers are JL Audio and one pair is over 6 years old and still sound great. I don't push my kit all the time or for long periods of time but I do push it hard at times and I have no rattles, etc.

It is all about the install and tuning...Also not pushing stuff past its' limits is also important...same as with a brand new car, motor, etc...gotta break stuff in before pushing hard.

Educating oneself on what one is buying and going to use is also very important...

Not to resurrect this old thread, but if I took the time to criticize the handling of my situation I feel I owe Focal the courtesy of updating this thread when they did right.

So I just want to put it out there that two representatives from Focal have personally called me today to express their concern over my situation and have offered a solution to the saga that I am very pleased with.

Like I said above, I didn't blame Focal for my situation, I just needed to vent the frustration I have with my current build.

Focal stepped up and earned my respect today.

focal gear is good ESP there components but I'm not fond of there woofers. the midbass should have had a crossover around 70hz-90hz depending on the power applied,

OMG you spent 8500 of that setup? KMSL. could have built something better for about 5k. arc amps speakscan drivers arc DSP

pioneer prs-99 head unit 1200

arc DSP 900

arc SE 4100 1000

arc SE 2150 1000

Scan-Speak 18M/4631T Revelator 7" Midrange 450

CDT ES-01 250

IDQ v12 250

1500 for install and material

kill your current setup..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.