New to car audio! Does turning the gain down reduce output of amp?

dsully21

Upland
I recently purchased two 12 inch pioneer tsw310d4 4 ohm subs rated at 1400w max and 400w rms. I also purchased a planet audio 2600w max 2 channel amp. Now in order to find an amp to match my subs I foolishly looked at max output only and figured that together the two subs put out 2800w max and will match perfectly with the 2600w max amp. However I did not bother noticing that the rms power of each channel of the amp which is rated at 900w rms at 2 ohms. So my question is, will I have to buy another amp with less power or is there anyway I could make it work such as keeping the gain down. And before you say it; Yes I barely know what I am talking about and I know that. I am a noob to car audio so bear with me. Thanks guys.

~~ WARNING ~~

Your are about to get roasted for not reading......

Keep both your level and gain down to match the rms of those subs and you should be good.

On the good part, you amp will not get too hot

Great! Thanks for the help. I think I will keep the amp and set the gain with a DMM. You mentioned that the amp probably doesn't put out the power close to what it says it does but do you think it will be the 500w lower that it needs to be? And if the rms output is still higher than 400 is there an accepted range of power that the amp can exceed?

I recently purchased two 12 inch pioneer tsw310d4 4 ohm subs rated at 1400w max and 400w rms. I also purchased a planet audio 2600w max 2 channel amp. Now in order to find an amp to match my subs I foolishly looked at max output only and figured that together the two subs put out 2800w max and will match perfectly with the 2600w max amp. However I did not bother noticing that the rms power of each channel of the amp which is rated at 900w rms at 2 ohms. So my question is, will I have to buy another amp with less power or is there anyway I could make it work such as keeping the gain down. And before you say it; Yes I barely know what I am talking about and I know that. I am a noob to car audio so bear with me. Thanks guys.
Wire up both subs in series for 4ohm load and bridge onto your 2 channel amp

It doesn't hurt to over power subwoofers, because with impedance gains in the box, they rarely if ever see full power from the amp. 25% more power than a sub(s) is rated for is not a problem at all so long as the signal you're sending the amp isn't clipped and so long as the amp is getting all the power it needs to do its job. e.g. make sure that you have appropriately sized power wiring, good grounds and enough amperage from the alternator and battery(s).

And to answer the original question... yes, turning down the gain does reduce the power sent to the speakers and thus, lowers the volume. That said... NEVER use the gain like a volume knob. It isn't there to make things louder, it's there to match your head unit to the amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.