New sub. What size speaker wire?

de8212
10+ year member

georgia
Running a shallow 12 currently. Feeding about 350 watts. Will be upgrading to a new larger box and a regular 12" but I'll be wiring to 2 ohm so it will be 600 watts. Is it OK to use the current 14 gauge speaker wire or will I have to get larger wire? I don't want to burn anything up or destroy the amp or sub.

It's a pioneer amp and I can't see anything in the manual about maximum speaker wire.

Thanks, forgot to mention. It is probably about 4 ft or so but then it'll go into the box and some spare. I'd say 6 ft roughly.
I think 14 gauge would be fine. If you were sending them 1k watts and up, then 12 gauge. I use a short length of knukonceptz 12 gauge for 1k watts.

14 AWG Speaker Wire can handle up to 750 watts of power at 20 ft Cable Runs: 14 guage speaker wire can carry up to 750 watts of power with 20 ft of speaker wire and a 4 ohm speaker load with 37 watts lost at the speaker terminals.

I run 12g AudioPipe wire to my front 6.5's from the trunk and the same wires in 10g from my amp to my 6x9's in the rear deck. I would never run less than 12g or 10g to any subs, no matter the length. I'm just a firm believer in less resistance equals better efficiency. If I ever had a huge 10,000+ watt system with a wall of 15's or something crazy I'd probably run 8g or even 4g speaker wires to the subs! The only thing that baffles ME about ANY speakers is the fact that no matter how fat your speaker wires are from your amp to the speakers, the speakers always seem to use that itty bitty 22g wire from the terminals! That was what impressed me when I just found some Nakamichi NSWZ1206D4 12's that handle 3,600 watts max (allegedly) was they use a RIBBON wire from the terminals! THAT impressed me! What is steering me away from buying them is they only go down to 45Hz, which to me isn't low enough. I gotta get down in the 20Hz range or they just don't seem like subs. But yeah, I'm running 10g to my rear speakers and 12g to the fronts. I really doubt I can hear the difference, and I doubt you will either.

Attachments

• AudioPipe 10g speaker wire.jpg
    AudioPipe 10g speaker wire.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 90
My DD's came with 8 gauge power wire so I ran the same as speaker wire
Its overkill on 1750 watts but it sure does look purdy with everything being red and black at the amp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.