New speaker system same amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

Xanatos

I apologies in advance for my ignorance, I don't know a lot about stereo systems.

I recently got new speakers for my car stereo system, and now I'm not getting the same volume output as I did before. I still have the same amp. The new subwoofers are the exact same size as the old ones. If it makes a difference, I also had the receiver replaced as well. The loudness, of the new setup, is probably half of what was before. I fiddled around with the receiver with the equalizer and the bass boost. It helped a little, but not as near as the levels before. So, my only guess is that it has to do with the speakers or the amp. Would it make a difference if I put my old speakers in? I originally was going to replace the foam of the old subwoofer, because they still worked. But the folks surprised me with a new sound system for my birthday, so I don't want to look ungrateful and put the old ones back in. Can anyone help?

Ok so I was messing around with the receiver, and I found if I bypass the DSP. (I have no idea what DSP stands for.) I can get the bass volume I was looking for. However at higher volumes the subwoofer fades in and out. Anyway to fix this, other than going through the DSP?

DSP = Digital Signal Processor

What subs did your folks get you? and what amp are you using? What were your old subs? What box do you have them in? We need more info to give you a better response.

Don't use bass boost, you could blow your subs..

If you replaced both the receiver and the amp then you need to make sure the amp gains were set properly.

Also, tell us the make/models of your old speakers and your new speakers and your amp - you may have an impedance matching issue and may not be getting full power out of your amp.

Thanks guys for the replies. It ended up that the wires in the subwoofer weren't secured in all the way in the amplifiers. So I just put it back in and screwed the wires closed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.