New kicker cvr's smelling.

I plan to get a new amp and new box.

Amp will come before box, it isn't a "burning" smell as I've said I know that's a bitter rubber wire smell like soldering smells like and melting PVC off wires.

It's a sweet smell mixed with MDF my last sub had the same smell, but not as strong.

It was also a single 12 with a small box.

This is a fairly large box with 2 12's and a very large port.

I'll get the soundqubed amp ASAP and set the subsonic to 30-40hz

Then I'll contact my box guy and have him build me a box.

Til then I suppose I'll leave the gains a bit down.

Ironic though, kicker says to pair this sub with this box and this amp and that a subsonic filter at 25hz is enough.

Someone once told me Kicker wants you to blow subs so you have to buy more, guess they were right....

I like the subs and the sound, it's great for rap and punchy enough for rock, pounds well.

It does have some "drop off" but it seems to play lower than 40hz I think it's probably tuned closer to 35-38hz but I can't be sure without software and equipment.

I think it's them still breaking in, especially since the smell remains after the sub and car has been off (it never goes away just gets more pronounced when it's playing) I will do what so many others fail to do on this forum though and I will follow advice, especially since its advice I planned to perform anyhow.

I would say its more of everything being new, and just releasing the new smells your describing. You should try, just for sake of argument, turning the bass down a couple notches and play as you would normally. See what it does! If its not freezing nutts out, pull a sub and look at it's coils. See if they're getting dark.

I would say its more of everything being new, and just releasing the new smells your describing. You should try, just for sake of argument, turning the bass down a couple notches and play as you would normally. See what it does! If its not freezing nutts out, pull a sub and look at it's coils. See if they're getting dark.
Agreed.

I'm taking that and all the other advice I have received here.

Maybe I should have waited a few months and got the two soundqubed SDC 2.5 12's

Would have cost me twice as much though...

I ordered the grills for them so I have to take the screws off the subwoofer soon anyway so I'll look at the coils with an LED light then.

Your lpf is set at 120 for the subs? That's a little high. So these cvrs are dvc 2 ohm models? Have you tested with a dmm to confirm your final load is 2 ohms? For 40hz tuning your subsonic filter should be around 33-36hz.

Your lpf is set at 120 for the subs? That's a little high. So these cvrs are dvc 2 ohm models? Have you tested with a dmm to confirm your final load is 2 ohms? For 40hz tuning your subsonic filter should be around 33-36hz.
I have confirmed its 2ohm by checking the wiring, it's two 2ohm DVC's wired in parallel for a 2 ohm load, I can check with a DMM to ensure the actual load while accounting for resistance.

I like my LPF set high to take load off my mids, my doors can only fit 5.25's and I have components amped with a 4-way but a sub has always sounded better.

I also have the bass set to center at 80hz with a Q of 1.00 so I figured it would even out.

Im not sure if many of you have used kicker amps (I like them, but I realize there are better options out there, as I've said I'm upgrading to a soundqubed 1200.1D soon) but they have set subsonic filters at a 12db octave. I figured with the drop off of the filter it would lower the output up to 30-35hz not to matter, but maybe not. I've been told that by the audio shop guys that the subsonic on the kicker would be fine, but who knows...usually those car audio guys don't know much and think JL audio is the best product you can buy...

Either way, I have no idea why kicker has a static subfilter on their amps, even their 2013 models, silly.

Guess I'm saving up for a new amp...

Btw, all my filters are set on my HU not my amps, Ive found with my system it sounds much better that way.

I have a pretty decent HU so, I think it's fine.

Kenwood Excelon Kdc-596

By the way, I played the subwoofer this morning at a similar volume as yesterday, turned down the amp a half a dial though, the gain is pretty sensitive so that goes a long way, anyway I can't smell anything. The smell is still there if you stick your head in the port but it's always there 24/7 sub on or off and was there when I first got everything and got it together.

Anyway, I think it's fine.

Still getting a new amp though.

We had a very similar thread here a while back and the OP came to the conclusion that the smell was just the new MDF box giving off outgassing fumes. MDF is processed with foraldehyde resins that will emit fumes for a while. If your coils aren't getting hot then this could be what you're smelling.

We had a very similar thread here a while back and the OP came to the conclusion that the smell was just the new MDF box giving off outgassing fumes. MDF is processed with foraldehyde resins that will emit fumes for a while. If your coils aren't getting hot then this could be what you're smelling.
^ this and dude, kicker amps are not bad. Not the best on the market but certainly not low end either.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.