New here! I want to upgrade my stereo.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Stoupe

I have a 2014 Chevy Malibu that has the six speaker stereo in it. I think it ***** and want to upgrade. I do not know much about car stereos just a little bit. It has been about 20 years since I had a sub and amp in my car. I am looking for some suggestions on what to get. I was thinking about ordering stuff online then taking it somewhere to get installed. I mostly listen to older rap so I would like some bass but I do not want to take up much room in my trunk. Also my car has openings for 6x9’s in the back. I’m not sure if there was speakers there or the car was made like that. I’m looking to spend around $500 but could go a little higher. Just would like to hear some suggestions to get started. Thanks.

I have a 2014 Chevy Malibu that has the six speaker stereo in it. I think it ***** and want to upgrade. I do not know much about car stereos just a little bit. It has been about 20 years since I had a sub and amp in my car. I am looking for some suggestions on what to get. I was thinking about ordering stuff online then taking it somewhere to get installed. I mostly listen to older rap so I would like some bass but I do not want to take up much room in my trunk. Also my car has openings for 6x9’s in the back. I’m not sure if there was speakers there or the car was made like that. I’m looking to spend around $500 but could go a little higher. Just would like to hear some suggestions to get started. Thanks.
Welcome to the forum.

Imo, 500 is very little if trying to upgrade speakers, HU, amp, sub(s) and install.

I would start with whats most important to you, ie: sub, mids, HU (headunit) etc...

Your best bet is to try and buy some used equipment for best bang 4 your buck. Make sure the items have a picture, username and date prior to sending any funds.

Rule#1 is upgrade your electrical aka The Big3 (google it). You;ll want to upgrade your car battery as well or at min save for it.

If you go with some low powered subs, you could get away from upgrading the alternator. One can't really say which sub will work best on stock alt until it's installed and lights are dimming (assumption based on low powered sub(s).

On to sub stage, I am a big fan of Sundown audio. Look into their sa-8 v1-v.3. Little sub that gets really loud, very surprising.

I am also a big fan of the old school rap, to this day I still bump E-40 daily. I'm a big fan of West Coast rap and I really like the way E-40 sounds at 30-34hz on a custom enclosure.

I'm far from a pro like most active members here so take my opinion with a grain of salt //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

BTW I do want to keep the HU that is in the car.
What HU is in the car? Pic would help.More than Likely it has a built in amplifier in the deck/an all in one package.You may have a issue adding an amplifier for a sub with existing HU. but its possible to bypass it with an LOC.You could run 2 ohm mono and prob get bye with a $500 budget, buying a used amplifier a new sub and build your own enclosure

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.