New here and looking for any tips or advice!

Hey guys this is my first post on the forum and I'm just looking for any advice or tips on getting a good budget system put together. I'm not a complete car audio rookie but I dont have a lot of experience. My current setup is a pioneer head unit, Nvx vs 5.25 components front speakers, currently some old school rf punch 3way 6x9 in the deck lid which I'll probably replace with some nvx vs 6x9s soon. I have a jl audio 500/1 slash amplifier wired to a 12" alpine type s in a really **** box that is probably 2cu and has a 1" circle diameter port on it. I don't know what that guy was thinking but I got it for free, and finally I have a rockford fosgate r300x4 amplifier I will be installing to power the door speakers. I'm in real need of a new box for starters ported or sealed I havent decided. Also for the 100$ the nvx 6x9s are is there anything better? So far I'm liking the nvx fronts and I dont even have them amplified yet. Thanks for everyone's advice and input

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Hey guys this is my first post on the forum and I'm just looking for any advice or tips on getting a good budget system put together. I'm not a complete car audio rookie but I dont have a lot of experience. My current setup is a pioneer head unit, Nvx vs 5.25 components front speakers, currently some old school rf punch 3way 6x9 in the deck lid which I'll probably replace with some nvx vs 6x9s soon. I have a jl audio 500/1 slash amplifier wired to a 12" alpine type s in a really **** box that is probably 2cu and has a 1" circle diameter port on it. I don't know what that guy was thinking but I got it for free, and finally I have a rockford fosgate r300x4 amplifier I will be installing to power the door speakers. I'm in real need of a new box for starters ported or sealed I havent decided. Also for the 100$ the nvx 6x9s are is there anything better? So far I'm liking the nvx fronts and I dont even have them amplified yet. Thanks for everyone's advice and input
1" Circle port?.. that's odd as heck.. can you post a picture of it?.. it might just be best to plug that hole for now... list your h x w x d measurements of the box you currently have to determine your net volume...

1" Circle port?.. that's odd as heck.. can you post a picture of it?.. it might just be best to plug that hole for now... list your h x w x d measurements of the box you currently have to determine your net volume...
Its 4a.m here so I'm about to pass out but ill do that when I wake up. It looks like some guy made the box to fit a spot in his car/truck but had absolutely no idea about anything other then making it fit in wherever he had it. Ill deffinately post pics. What file hosting site do you guys use? I always used photo bucket but there a bunch of d*cks now.

Also quick question when I install the 4channel for the speakers I was planning to use the "high level" inputs since my deck only has one set of rcas for the sub. Can I just connect those wires with the speaker wires that go into the amp for power or do they have to be connected separate or up at the head unit?

All you need is a drill and some mdf screws from Home Depot (no pre drilling!!) and some sanded ply and wood glue and easy to do your own box. 2 cubes with 25-30sq in of port tuned to taste would be a good start

Shoot Home Depot or lowes will even cut it. Now I didn't say they will cut it straight lol but have them cut it a 1" wider than needed and circle saw the excess off for your straight lines. Or I just hand the guy a 10$ bill and say make sure they are perfect and works every time for me lol

1" port....I gotta see this. I thought I saw everything by now, perhaps I'm wrong. You def came to the right place. Shredder1 or someone else can def model up a good enclosure deign for ya...and one that requires a much bigger port...2" ----> j/k

As for uploading pics, PB still works for me, I'm not paying them at all. It works for some people and others it doesn't....I don't get it. Anyway, might have to try another web hosting image uploading site like imgur, imageshack, tinypic, flickr, etc.

Also quick question when I install the 4channel for the speakers I was planning to use the "high level" inputs since my deck only has one set of rcas for the sub. Can I just connect those wires with the speaker wires that go into the amp for power or do they have to be connected separate or up at the head unit?
no no and no. That 100 dollars you were planning on using for the 6x9s, USE IT TO GET A BETTER DECK. like a kenwood x301 or pioneer mvx580bt. Makes a much bigger difference on how good things sound especially amplified. Never go the high level input route, thats absolute shi*t for signal.

Never spend anything on the rear speakers, the front is where all the magic happens and you should soley focus all your attention up front. Its where the soundstage magic happens and its where you sit. You dont go to a concert facing your back to the artists...

no no and no. That 100 dollars you were planning on using for the 6x9s, USE IT TO GET A BETTER DECK. like a kenwood x301 or pioneer mvx580bt. Makes a much bigger difference on how good things sound especially amplified. Never go the high level input route, thats absolute shi*t for signal.
Never spend anything on the rear speakers, the front is where all the magic happens and you should soley focus all your attention up front. Its where the soundstage magic happens and its where you sit. You dont go to a concert facing your back to the artists...
That's good advice... I did not see that you'd planned to spend money on 6x9's... I haven't used rear speakers in 25 years and wouldn't even if I had an extra set... Jeff's absolutely right... spend it on a H/U and you'll be better off... I still am curious about that "1 inch port"... I'd love to see it....

That's good advice... I did not see that you'd planned to spend money on 6x9's... I haven't used rear speakers in 25 years and wouldn't even if I had an extra set... Jeff's absolutely right... spend it on a H/U and you'll be better off... I still am curious about that "1 inch port"... I'd love to see it....
i also agree with this advice on the deck. Some folks are too used to rear fill to give up on them entirely, but jeff is also right about the front stage being the most important. My best build had diamond audio hex component 6.5s and no rear fill for the longest time, then i added some d3 comps run off deck power and while it provided rear fill, it wasnt as good as just the fronts run off an amp.

Ya idk I've always really liked rear fill haha although I have noticed its not as important with a subwoofer. As far as the head unit goes I have been wanting to upgrade anyway but what if I I got an equalizer? Then my one set of rcas could go to that and it would provide me with rca connections for the speakers right? I've never used an eq before but I'm pretty sure that's how that works?

Ya idk I've always really liked rear fill haha although I have noticed its not as important with a subwoofer. As far as the head unit goes I have been wanting to upgrade anyway but what if I I got an equalizer? Then my one set of rcas could go to that and it would provide me with rca connections for the speakers right? I've never used an eq before but I'm pretty sure that's how that works?
You're still gonna' need a clean signal into the EQ... H/U is the BEST way to go... Anyways... where in AZ are you?..

You're still gonna' need a clean signal into the EQ... H/U is the BEST way to go... Anyways... where in AZ are you?..
I'm in Surprise, AZ and for the eq wouldn't I just take the one set of rca outs my deck has and plug those into the eq? Then wouldn't that be a clean signal?

If you have a factory H/U there will be no RCA's... if you use a LOC it will be less than Ideal... if you replace the factory H/U with a decent aftermarket unit you'll likely not need an EQ...

Where are those pics of the box?.. I use imgur... I'll bet even changing to a 3" round appropriately tuned to your box volume will do wonders... I did that for a neighbor before and when he drives by to this day... I swear it gets MY attention... I re-tuned a sealed box to 33 hz or so by adding a port tuned for that volume... the box is nowhere near optimal but with a pair of C4 12's it sounds pretty OK IMO on a Hifonic 1000.1d... I really think you should demo a setup with only front speakers and a sub... you WILL be surprised...

Anyways... you could demo mine but I'm in Chandler and it's kinda' far... I've even got my "demo" box installed currently... it does "OK"... IMO... LOL!

no straight up head unit or bust. EQs are garbage compared to the head units i mentioned which is 13 bands of eq. Best you can get is a 7 band EQ which sh*t sq. Trust us on this, no cheap or ghetto rig fixes. The head unit is the most important aspect of your system. Its the brains of the whole setup. If you have a retarded brain, the whole setup will be retarded.

You only like rear fill because you've never heard a properly done front stage. Hear a proper setup and you'll never ever look back again.

The head units recommended dont just have a good EQ, they have a good 24 bit dac too which means music sounds straight up better right off the bat along with time alignment which creates a virtual concert in your car along with all the modern features. Nothing you can upgrade is more important than the head unit. Get rid of your current head unit asap. Nothing with only one pair of RCAs is worth a **** SQ and audio options wise.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.