New Budget Amplifiers

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
Been out of the loop for a while. Looking for a budget amplifier in the $200-$300 range. Could go a bit more if there's one that is significantly better. For electrical, I'll have a minimum of a 240 amp HO alt and either a lithium bank or 200Ah AGM. As of right now, thinking the amp will be powering a Skar ZVX-12v2.

Recommendations?

Taramps smart 3.

Reasoning? It's a "full range" amp. I've used other Brazilian full range amps for subs. I had a Banda 7k on some custom Fi N3 15's and a Taramps 20.2k on some DDZ 18's. Some people aren't keen on running full range for subs. I haven't looked into the "smart" technology of Taramps yet.

I assume it delivers a more uniform output when impedance varies between 1 and 2 ohms. For example, if I'm wired to 1 ohm and rise to 1.5 ohms at a certain frequency, say 30hz for example, and 2 ohms around 35hz. I should expect similar power output from the amp at 30 and 35hz because something internally is monitoring the changing impedance and compensating? I don't know, so please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

Looks stout. Good for half ohm?
I've been browsing this site and CACO, and I've seen that amp mentioned recently.
I'll either be buying something Brazilian and wiring to 1 ohm or something Korean wired to .5. Haven't bought a sub yet.
It's some people running them at .5. Also have you seen PRV amps. The only thing is you have to get there dsp or a eq may work, because it doesn't have a crossover on it.

The taramps smart 3 amp is a great amp for the price...Im using the taramps md 5000 myself with almost stock electrical (big 3 and stock 120 amp alternator) with 2 agms pushing 2 xfls and my whole van flex on the lows...just dont use the crossovers on the input side of the amp get a dsp or a nice head unit with good crossovers on the sub output.

I have a smart 3 and it works well for the price. That being said, I really don’t have any experience with the crossover built into the amplifier. My H.U. takes care of all that.

I went from a Sundown saz3000d to the smart 3, and honestly I can’t tell any difference in the sound. And I believe that the Taramps is slightly more efficient. (Less voltage drop)

It's some people running them at .5. Also have you seen PRV amps. The only thing is you have to get there dsp or a eq may work, because it doesn't have a crossover on it.

Haven't used PRV amps. The one place I saw them for sale while casually browsing, they were out of stock. My headunit has an adjustable low pass filter for the sub signal outputs.

The taramps smart 3 amp is a great amp for the price...Im using the taramps md 5000 myself with almost stock electrical (big 3 and stock 120 amp alternator) with 2 agms pushing 2 xfls and my whole van flex on the lows...just dont use the crossovers on the input side of the amp get a dsp or a nice head unit with good crossovers on the sub output.

Ok, so you don't have complaints about the Taramps MD line? I would save quite a bit just running 1 bank of lithium with the MD3k. Could add the HO alt later if necessary (which I assume it will be).

I have a smart 3 and it works well for the price. That being said, I really don’t have any experience with the crossover built into the amplifier. My H.U. takes care of all that.

I went from a Sundown saz3000d to the smart 3, and honestly I can’t tell any difference in the sound. And I believe that the Taramps is slightly more efficient. (Less voltage drop)

Thank you for your input! Interesting to hear your experience with both the SAZ3k and Smart3k. Definitely leaning towards the Taramps again. I've had good luck with Brazilian amps on the past 🤷

Just get the smart 3 its only around 30 dollars more than the md 3000 and overall its a better amp plus you would get more power out the smart 3 due to box rise...

Just get the smart 3 its only around 30 dollars more than the md 3000 and overall its a better amp plus you would get more power out the smart 3 due to box rise...
Yeah, definitely leaning towards this option. It's good to hear testimony from people who have used it. I don't necessarily trust good Amazon reviews.

Dang the smart 3 is small. DC 175.4 for scale

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...