New amp....having an issue with deep bass

Participant count
  • Participant list

_Newk_
10+ year member

NJ
I recently swapped my MTX Thunder 4501 for an MB Quart OA500.1. The MTX has an issue with the speaker connector block. The amp is powering a 12" Kicker L5 Solobaric in a ported box Looks like this
x2065VS12L5-f.jpeg

Since I switched, the sub's low bass output seems to have diminished. It's a lot more punchy but with the MTX, the lows were really low. Now, it's giving the same lows as a 10" sub. No matter how I adjust the levels, I can't get it to sound the way it used to before I switched.

This is what the level adjustments look like
OnyxOA5001.jpg

I think I have the Bass Boost all the way at 12dB, the Subsonic on 30 or 40HZ and the low pass at around midway between 40Hz and 300Khz and the level set at 3/4. They are both rated at 500 x 1 @ 2ohms. Anyone else ever have this amp who can shed some light or maybe point me in the right direction? I love the punchiness but miss the bottom end.

First, take the bass boost all the way to 0 and start there. That's a great way to fry an amp and sub. Second move the subsonic to 0. What is your rca source?

First, take the bass boost all the way to 0 and start there. That's a great way to fry an amp and sub. Second move the subsonic to 0. What is your rca source?
You mean what type of head unit?

It's the upgraded Pioneer head unit in a 2010 Scion TC. I have the bass on the HU set all the way down and the SW Level set at -2 or -3.

When you say Subsonic on 0 do you mean 10Hz or 40Hz?

I don't have a crossover on my factory components so I usually set the bass on the HU as low as it goes and compensate by turning the gain up on the amp and adjusting the subwoofer level on the HU accordingly

Well I give up. It doesn't make sense but I just can't get it to sound as deep as it used to.

Maybe for sh*ts & giggles, I will take the Alpine MRP-M500 that's powering my wife's 10" Polk DXi and hook it up to my Kicker to see how that sounds. If it sounds better, I'll just take her Alpine and give her the MB Quart for her 10".

turn all deck settings to flat, 0. If the factory head has hpf turn on and probably set to 80 or 100. make sure sub sonic level is on 10, boost all the way down. crossover set to 80. What final ohm load is the sub wired to

Pretty sure the sub is running at 2 ohms. I'm worried if I turn the bass up to 0 on the receiver that I might damage the factory components when I turn the volume to 3/4. Right now the bass is at -5 (as low as it goes) and the subwoofer level is at -1 or 0. (Think the range goes from -20 to +6 or something)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.