New Alpine CDE-145BT won't power up?

Participant count
  • Participant list

76olds

CarAudio.com Newbie
Thanks for adding me  !

I own a 1976 Olds Cutlass Supreme. Had an Old Pioneer Tape deck which was working when pulled today. 

Tried to install the New Alpine CDE-145BT in its place , however, I can't seem to get it powered up. 

I have the Red - running to Switched Ignition wire which is Orange in my 76 

I have the Yellow running to the orange which I"m thinking is the battery lead ? Used the Orange Wire from my cig lighter since I never use it.

I have the orange running to the gray for illumination

Used the black ground from the cig lighter , good ground.

The " 10A Radio Fuse " in panel is good, The 10A fuse in the stereo is good .  

If anyone here knows these Older Cars, knows how to wire this New Stereo up, I would appreciate the help. 

Thanks!

Eric

You explained that both the ignition and constant battery are orange, please verify as this seems to be a typo.

This is what I find for '78+:

Constant 12V+: Orange
Ignition Switched 12V+: Yellow
Ground: Black
Illumination: Gray
Dimmer: Brown
Antenna Trigger: Pink

Some of the older cars used a common ground configuration which modern radios will not accept.  Please verify if you speaker wiring is common ground or dedicated ground.

Also, there may be a thick gray wire which is speaker and a thin gray wire which is illumination - be sure to not mix those up!

Thanks for the reply!,

Typo... Yes , 

Ok, 

Red power wire to , yellow switched ignition.

Yellow to orange for constant 

Orange Illumination to gray coming from original wiring harness. 

Not sure if speakers are common ground or dedicated, haven't wired up the speaker wires yet. 

Still trying to figure out why I can't power up the unit as wired above. 

Took the deck back to the retailer plugged the radio into the board.. works. Switched harness to the one supplied and no power. Hooked me up with a new harness and its good to go. 

Took the deck back to the retailer plugged the radio into the board.. works. Switched harness to the one supplied and no power. Hooked me up with a new harness and its good to go. 
Good deal.  Next time you can use a DMM to check for voltage on the wires you're using.  That was going to be my next suggestion.  Did you notice if the wires were just in the wrong position?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.