New 6.5s?

Participant count
  • Participant list

deano17
10+ year member

PA
I'm looking to get some new 6.5 components. I was thinking maybe a set of the CDTs that are on sale but I haven't listened to any components except PG RSD's which I have now. I want to run about 100 watts for the fronts and I will not have a rear stage. I have 2 kicker CVR 12's in the trunk running off a zx1000.1. Right now the fronts are running off a kicker 200.2 at about 70 watts. I listen to mostly rap and rock/metal. I will be getting a new amp to push about 100 - 150 watts. I was thinking a kicker or a hifonics. I have about 150 to spend on the components. What are some suggestions? I will be buying new.

Get the silver coned optis, a lot better IMO. Also look into Earthquake MC-6's, Hifonics Zxi6.5 is another great budget set. Diamond makes a good one too but i forgot the model number. The ID CTXs i bleieve are also amazing.

Get the silver coned optis, a lot better IMO. Also look into Earthquake MC-6's, Hifonics Zxi6.5 is another great budget set. Diamond makes a good one too but i forgot the model number. The ID CTXs i bleieve are also amazing.
Silver optis are good too.

x2 on ID CTX65cs's.

If you can find them still, the PPCI 356cs's go for around $165 used. If you can raise your budget a bit, the Hybrid Audio Imagine's are a nice set, but it's not too much different from the CTX65cs's. You can also consider a more mainstream set like the Polk MM6501's as well, or even the Alpine SPX-17ref's at the $200 price point.

I'd avoid CDT's - They make good component sets, but I think they're overpriced.

I just put the silver opti's (6.1's) in my car last weekend. $76 shipped off Amazon, and had silk tweeters/alum drivers which is a combo I like, much more so than metal tweets. They are still breaking in, so it's hard to judge the bass on them. They are starting to kick on drums/midbass much stronger after just the week, and bass is showing up better but still not broken in I don't think. The highs are detailed, and get loud and clear. I wouldn't call them harsh, but the highs need to be eq'd down for my liking. I'm running a stock HU, and was still able to get a setting that works well and imagine more control from a good HU or EQ would be better yet. I'm running them off a bridged DSC 450, so 200 a channel.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

deano17

10+ year member
deano17
PA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from