Need true RMS wattage of this amp!

LongThrow

My Kickers be swaggin'
I currently have a Planet Audio PX1500M

It says its rated at 450w RMS at 4 ohms. But being a product of planet audio we all know (or at least I hope) this is a terrible lie. I figured around 100-150 because of the price tag.

No pessimistic replies. I know some of you will probably tell me LESS than what it is.

add up all the fuses on the amp than multiply by 10. that will give you a rough estimate. i.e it has 2 20 amp fuses, that's 40 amps total multiplied by 10 is 400 watts RMS at it's lowest stable impedance. so if it's a mono block that's stable at 1Ω than it's 400x1@1Ω, if it's a 2 channel that's bridgeable and 2Ω stereo impedance than it would roughly be 400x1 bridged or 200x2@2Ω, if it's a 4 channel that's bridgeable and 2Ω stereo than it's 100x4@2Ω or 200x2 bridged. this is all a rough estimate, you'd need to properly clamp the amp or put it on an SMD amp dyno to get a true number.

add up all the fuses on the amp than multiply by 10. that will give you a rough estimate. i.e it has 2 20 amp fuses, that's 40 amps total multiplied by 10 is 400 watts RMS at it's lowest stable impedance. so if it's a mono block that's stable at 1Ω than it's 400x1@1Ω, if it's a 2 channel that's bridgeable and 2Ω stereo impedance than it would roughly be 400x1 bridged or 200x2@2Ω, if it's a 4 channel that's bridgeable and 2Ω stereo than it's 100x4@2Ω or 200x2 bridged. this is all a rough estimate, you'd need to properly clamp the amp or put it on an SMD amp dyno to get a true number.
Doesn't mean it will be clean power.

Most manufacturers over-fuse to start with, and many of the unscrupulous ones will purposely use or recommend even larger fuses to fool people who think they're clever because they read this online somewhere.

OP, do you really care? Does it sound good? Naught for nothing, but the last thing that said Planet Audio on it that was worth owning was made in the USA and had tubes in it.

I think that was his point if it works does it really matter. Especailly if you out of work what you're going to go spend money on car audio? priorities my friend.

the whole "clean" vs "dirty" comparison always seemed pointless to me.

A $2500 Brax will sound "dirty" if you clip it.

Just as a $50 Pyle will sound "clean" if you don't.

People with high dollar amps would like to believe their 0.01% THD (at rated power) sounds better than someone else's budget amp with 0.50% THD at the same amt of power. They're kidding themselves.

Don't clip your amp and it'll sound fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.