Need suggestions for a new HU

Participant count
  • Participant list

powerslide
10+ year member

Well, I've been very happy with my Alpine 7894, but it may be time to move on (or not? Looking for suggestions)

Basically, I'm not worried about MP3 anymore, and I wont be using the internal HU amp, which are 2 big features of the 7894.

I'd like to have the ability to tweak more with EQ settings, which I unfortunately cant do with it.

Here's what I need:

CD player that is reliable

Excellent SQ

Aux input

I will most likely using the Aux input quite a bit from my soundcard via carputer, so I want to make sure I keep as much quality from the input signal as possible.

It would be nice to have an onboard EQ/Crossover/Sub control. If not, I am thinking that an in-dash unit would be useful.

thanks for the help!

Without knowing what price range you are in, or what cosmetic features are important to you, it's hard to give advice. Many here will be able to better help but my first instinct said "Eclipse", even though I very recently bought an Alpine 9835 ( dash matching and a built in Sirius tuner were important for me, and the Eclipses simply didn't match my dash very well nor did they have a built in tuner for Sirius.. otherwise, I would have gone with the 8454 ). From what many have posted here ( those that I very much respect ), it seems Eclipse has the reputation of delivering very good SQ and very good user control in terms of EQ, etc. Manny, if you chime in, you may want to share some of the Blaupunkt models you told me about as 31 bands of EQ seemed very flexible //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. And, I don't think you have to give up on mp3 completely.. I'm experimenting with the quality of ripping and getting pretty good results... I have no experience or desire to do the download mp3 thing though.. just very high quality rips on my PC. Good luck.. the 04 models may soon be closing out at a reasonable discount. Good luck //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If you can afford it go with Eclipse like jdavis37 said, a little lower in price is my HU. I'm using the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X879 and it has all the features you're looking for. The internal amp can be turned off if your not using it, 24bit DAC, separate adjustable crossovers for F/R/S, and aux input. The only low point is the 3 band EQ,but it is frequency adjustable. Some people have had problems with the motorized face, but I have yet to have any. Hope I was a little helpful.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.