Need suggestions for a 5-channel amp

dsw1204

CarAudio.com Elite
Hi, I just purchased a JL Audio CP106LG-W3V3 sub for my 1991 Accord and now I need an amp. I didn't want an overpowering sub, that is why this 6" JL sub. I currently have an old Alpine 3527S 4 channel amp pushing 2 Infinity Kappas in the door panels and 2 Eclipse 6x9's in back. The 3527 only pumps out 25w per channel @ 4 ohms. Not sure what it does for 2 ohms. But, I'd like my 5 channel amp to put out anywhere from 50-100W per channel @ 4 ohms.

My Alpine is not very powerful, but is extremely clean and transparent. I'd like my 5-channel amp to have these same characteristics. Do you guys have any recommendations?

One a secondary note: This is my first sub ever purchased. It is tall and thin. I need some recommendations on how to secure this thing properly in my trunk.

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Memphis 5 channel on the classifieds: www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/613256-memphis-16-mc600d-baby-belle-5-channel-amplifier.html

Its rated at 55W x 4 @ 4 ohms, but will do more cleanly. Its a Hybrid amplifier, so theres two amps in a single chassis pretty much. The sub channel can go down to 400 W @ 1 ohm while you have all the other channels running at 4 ohms.

Your JL is rated at 50-150 W @ 4 ohms, so this amp will power your sub and all your other speakers perfectly //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

In my research, I've come across the Soundstream RUB5.800. I really like this amp! Well, I really like the specs of this amp, especially the THD (.02% @ 4 ohm power) and S/N (105db) numbers. Soundstream is a very good car audio company, right? What are your guys' opinions of this amp?

I can pick this up for $145 at Onlinecarster.com, who is an authorized Soundstream dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a 5-channel amp that fits my budget and my power output requirements. I want to get your guys' opinion. It's an ARC AUDIO XDI 805. However, it is a D class amp and I was really looking for an AB/D class amp. Reading another thread, it seems that AB amps have a better SQ than D class amps, unless the D class amp is made by a very good manufacturer. What is really the difference between a full 5-channel D class amp and an AB/D class amp?

Hey just offering some advice.

DON'T OVERTHINK this!! lol.

You are RUNNING low power into .. midgrade components.

All you need is a clean, 5 channel amplifier. The ARC audio seems to be a good choice from just reading the specs. For your application there are probably a few amps under the $200 mark that will work well in your application. Powerbass, Soundstream, and Skar ... all having solid 5 channel amps under $200 that are good for the money. Just browse Sonic Electronix website.

As far as AB/ vs D. READ HERE

Car Amplifiers Glossary

But with the setup you will be running... I don't think its going to make too much of a difference.

I found a 5-channel amp that fits my budget and my power output requirements. I want to get your guys' opinion. It's an ARC AUDIO XDI 805. However, it is a D class amp and I was really looking for an AB/D class amp. Reading another thread, it seems that AB amps have a better SQ than D class amps, unless the D class amp is made by a very good manufacturer. What is really the difference between a full 5-channel D class amp and an AB/D class amp?

Kenwood 700-5PS, I have two, they work great, not very expensive at all, and make 500w rms on the sub channel at just 2 ohms .... I run them at a full 2 ohms, every channel, in my daughters Volvo, and in my old truck. I have been using them for around 6mo. now, with out a hiccup .....

Hey just offering some advice.
DON'T OVERTHINK this!! lol.

You are RUNNING low power into .. midgrade components.

All you need is a clean, 5 channel amplifier. The ARC audio seems to be a good choice from just reading the specs. For your application there are probably a few amps under the $200 mark that will work well in your application. Powerbass, Soundstream, and Skar ... all having solid 5 channel amps under $200 that are good for the money. Just browse Sonic Electronix website.

As far as AB/ vs D. READ HERE

Car Amplifiers Glossary

But with the setup you will be running... I don't think its going to make too much of a difference.
Thanks specialnupe, I probably have been overthinking this. Earlier, I ran across a Soundstream RUB5.800. It's only $150 at onlinecarstereo.com. I asked for opinions on this amp, but got no replies on it. So, I thought maybe this might not be a good choice since I just got recommendations for amps that cost between $500 - $800, which is well beyond my budget.

Yes, I know I am still probably overthinking this. But, the SQ I get from my current system is absolutely amazing. Maybe it's because I'm running an old school competition head unit. Maybe because the little-powered Alpine 3527S amp is really a very high quality amp, I don't know for sure. I am running 12 gauge OFC cable to all of my speakers. I've got to think the cabling helps, at least a little. Whatever the reason, I don't want to lose any of the absolutely amazing dynamics this systems currently puts out when I install the JL sub and new amp.

So, between the Soundstream RUB5.800 and the ARC Audio XDI 805, which would be a better choice...in your opinion? The Soundstream is $110 less expensive and would be purchased from an authorized dealer. The ARC would not be purchased from an authorized dealer but probably has better quality components, but still being a D class amp (again, I don't know that D class is of lesser SQ than AB).

I purchased the same Arc XDI 805 for my daughter's car. Haven't installed it yet, but it seems like a solid amp. I've run many Arc amps in the past, & always had good results with them.

I would recommend to stay away from onlinecarstereo...the couple times I tried to use them, they cancelled my order. The first time, I had to call to see what was going on, as I never received any more information. The second time, a couple weeks back, they lied to me about the product I purchased. I called because they gave me a tracking number, but the item didn't come. I then called & was told that by the time they got the amp from the warehouse it was too late to ship out, but that it would be delivered that day. It had never shipped...then I called back & they told me it was out of stock, & that the person I had spoken too the day before should have told me that. The last person I spoke to was pretty rude as well.

Arc Audio uses Robert Zeff's company, Nikola Engineering. That XDI amplifier is a top tier Class D amplifier. I would go with that over a Soundstream Rubicon, especially considering the seller is OCS.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.