Need some help with x overs on pioneer HU and Amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

irokamg
10+ year member

DC
I got a new pioneer head unit avh-x3500bhs and two of there new amps. My problem is do I set crossovers on amp or head unit or both. Where should they be set at. I want to do the normal crossover at 80 on both, or should i start at a different point.

Jl 10w6v2

polk mm6501

Pioneer GM-D9601

Pioneer GM-D8604

Come on guys 84 views, someone has to have a pioneer avh unit and can help me out with the X overs on amp and head unit. Thanks

80 hz sounds good, don't use both the filter on the amp and the one in the deck, do one or the other.

I'm not sure how good the crossovers are with those amps but if the deck has the function I would use that and turn the crossover off on the amp.

80hz low pass for the sub and then 80hz high pass for the speakers depending on what you are running

....what are you running for speakers?

How about someone thats not "ditching" there pioneer. lol thats funny! they make some of the best head units out there(top 5, I would say 2 or 3)

I am running Jl 10w6v2,polk(sub mm6501 (comp)and some Hertz 5x7(2-way) for rear fill i forgot the model number but they are bright orange.

Best? Internal grounds fail at random it seems N creates loop noises. Seen it in more than one.
Please tell me what you think are better. I am looking for 2din touch screen , not to fight or anything I just want to kno your view on units

Please tell me what you think are better. I am looking for 2din touch screen , not to fight or anything I just want to kno your view on units
He's not incorrect. Pioneers are great on feature sets, but for SQ, they leave a lot to be desired. The general concensus is that Pioneer HUs favor bass, Eclipse favor midrange, and Alpine favor treble.

To answer your original question, though, I have an AVH (last year's model) and just use the crossovers on the HU since I don't have to guess if I got it right. If your amp has an All-pass option, use that on the amp and set x-overs on the HU. 80Hz on both is a good starting point. If your doors buzz to much, lift the crossovers for your speakers, if the sub is overworked, drop your x-over point on the sub channel.

OP, listen to Neo. He knows what he's talking about. As for Pioneer headunits, I love em as well, but prefer the single DIN's above all else. How are you liking Pioneer's new line of amps? I've only just seen them, never had any actual usage of one.

OP, listen to Neo. He knows what he's talking about. As for Pioneer headunits, I love em as well, but prefer the single DIN's above all else. How are you liking Pioneer's new line of amps? I've only just seen them, never had any actual usage of one.
Flattery will get you everywhere lulz.

On the double-vs-single DIN debate, I get the feeling for where you're coming from. I LOVE the ease of use my AVH-P8400BH has. For the iPod/iPhone user, it is rock solid. For a good 90 percent of the users out there, your HU will pose no issue. Then you have freaks like us here who demand far more from our systems than mainstream manufacturers care to include at the consumer price point (aka sub-800 dollar HUs...with the rare exceptions of a few here and there) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif This is something I didn't realize until I got my hands on West's Eclipse CD7200mkii. The interface SUCKS, but it sounds noticeably better.

I'll give you a word of caution I wish someone had given me before I started getting into this hobby. If you want to feel completely happy with the way your system is now, log off IMMEDIATELY and never return. We love singing praises about companies that get things right, but we also love to upgrade and point out flaws. You'll see this and start to think "hey, I see that flaw now. Now I have to upgrade!!!!!!"

I'm half kidding, but you should catch my drift. I doubt you'll find much about that AVH to dislike until you start to see us complaining about certain things. They saying "ignorance is bliss" definitely holds weight here.

I love them. I had a few mono amps pushing my Lj 10w6 some cheap and some not so cheap. I must say that the its not the best one I have had but the 2nd best one I had pushing it.The best match was a hifonics brut(that thing was way to big). On this D9601 my gains are all the way down and the thing POUNDS, I think i should have gotten the one under this one ( but what car guy does that) due to it pushing 800w at 2ohm (i will just get another sub) so i cant really tell right now due to me over powering my sub right not.

As far as the 8604 4ch its very nice it really woke my Polk MM's up! I came from a Kappa Five powering it all, but I had to set all my gains up to get the power needed and then it starts to clip and afraid of blowing my speakers with non clean power. I only had them in for 2 days but I will report back. I do notice that they are cheaper in price with more all around power that last years models. I think best bang for the buck!

I love them. I had a few mono amps pushing my Lj 10w6 some cheap and some not so cheap. I must say that the its not the best one I have had but the 2nd best one I had pushing it.The best match was a hifonics brut(that thing was way to big). On this D9601 my gains are all the way down and the thing POUNDS, I think i should have gotten the one under this one ( but what car guy does that) due to it pushing 800w at 2ohm (i will just get another sub) so i cant really tell right now due to me over powering my sub right not.
As far as the 8604 4ch its very nice it really woke my Polk MM's up! I came from a Kappa Five powering it all, but I had to set all my gains up to get the power needed and then it starts to clip and afraid of blowing my speakers with non clean power. I only had them in for 2 days but I will report back. I do notice that they are cheaper in price with more all around power that last years models. I think best bang for the buck!
Yeah, it's good to hear that about em. I love how they can get down to 1 ohm for the mono's, Pioneer hasn't had that for awhile. I'm running an older GM8500M right now as a placeholder, and they definitely do the job. As for pushing out rated, I'm not quite sure, but it has to at least be that. The Hifonics I could see being the better match for your sub, but then you start getting into an efficiency battle, and the Brutus will suffer.

As for your 4 channel, watch that clipping. Are your HU settings corresponding with the amp settings? A mismatch will cause that. I'd be interested in picking up one of the 4 channels, because you're right. More power, for a better price (just hoping not cheaper parts to make it that cheaper price!) Keep us informed on if it still keeps clipping.

OP use the xovers on the HU. As far as where to set them, start by unhooking the rca's to your highs amp. Now turn up your HU to the loudest volume that you'll listen to, usually around 70%, and adjust the xover and EQ for the cleanest bass obtainable. Take your time. Try all the LP xover points while adjusting the low end of your EQ. You may find that a higher LP xover setting(80Hz) with the EQ in those frequencies turned down sounds better than a lower LP xover setting(50Hz) with those frequencies turned up on the EQ, and vice versa. Do this on all types of music you'll be listening to and try to find a happy medium.

Now for the highs. Pretty much the same procedure. First hook your highs RCA's back up. Now either unhook the sub amp or if your head has the function, turn the sub output off. Adjust your HP Xover points and EQ to obtain the best possible sound at the same source volume you set the subs at. Try not to adjust the EQ frequencies below that of your HP xover point as they will effect the sub stage you just set. Once again, take your time. Adjust everything till it sounds clean and the way you like it. Once the HP is set, you may want to go back and slightly tweak the LP again if you adjusted the EQ much on the low frequencies while tuning the highs.

Now, once both HP and LP are set, turn your sub amp back on and blend it into the highs at volume using the sub level adjust on your head. Tune it the way you like it. If you decide to play with the bass boost or other settings like that on your HU, do so in moderation and maybe turn off each amp like above so you can hear what that setting is actually doing to your speakers.

OP use the xovers on the HU. As far as where to set them, start by unhooking the rca's to your highs amp. Now turn up your HU to the loudest volume that you'll listen to, usually around 70%, and adjust the xover and EQ for the cleanest bass obtainable. Take your time. Try all the LP xover points while adjusting the low end of your EQ. You may find that a higher LP xover setting(80Hz) with the EQ in those frequencies turned down sounds better than a lower LP xover setting(50Hz) with those frequencies turned up on the EQ, and vice versa. Do this on all types of music you'll be listening to and try to find a happy medium.
Now for the highs. Pretty much the same procedure. First hook your highs RCA's back up. Now either unhook the sub amp or if your head has the function, turn the sub output off. Adjust your HP Xover points and EQ to obtain the best possible sound at the same source volume you set the subs at. Try not to adjust the EQ frequencies below that of your HP xover point as they will effect the sub stage you just set. Once again, take your time. Adjust everything till it sounds clean and the way you like it. Once the HP is set, you may want to go back and slightly tweak the LP again if you adjusted the EQ much on the low frequencies while tuning the highs.

Now, once both HP and LP are set, turn your sub amp back on and blend it into the highs at volume using the sub level adjust on your head. Tune it the way you like it. If you decide to play with the bass boost or other settings like that on your HU, do so in moderation and maybe turn off each amp like above so you can hear what that setting is actually doing to your speakers.

Thanks for taking the time to type all that. I got that part (but I did put this in my pocket "(80Hz) with the EQ in those frequencies turned down sounds better than a lower LP xover setting(50Hz) with those frequencies turned up on the EQ") I was asking do i do it from head unit or amp and if i do it from head unit where do I set the amp knobs, I think I got it. Thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.