Need help with my truck audio

Participant count
  • Participant list

Lateralus11

Hey guys,

Just registered on this site and I need some help with my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 audio

I put Hertz HCX 690's in the doors, they sound amazing, but I also want to put Hertz HCX 165's inthe back, but i can't find them, can anyone help with that.

Secondly, I'm a carpenter and am thinking of building a custom sub box for under the passenger seat or elsewhere. So my questions are, where should I put a sub in the cab, and what sub should I get?

I'm not looking for sound to rattle me out of the truck, just want some sweet bass kicks Thanks in advance.

Greg

Somewhere behind the seat(s) is pretty much a standard location for subs in your truck. You might be able to fit a sub under the passenger seat, but it will be an extremely tight fit even for an 8" sub. I wouldn't recommend the sub be placed under a seat.

I have a Ford F-250 regular cab currently... and as far as rear fill, I personally don't like them in a regular cab. They don't provide hardly any sound, especially if the mounting locations are below your shoulders or lower. The seats muffle the sound into obscurity. However, aren't your rear speaker locations made for 5-1/4" speakers? If you got the HCX 165's you might have to cut out the mounting hole a bit.

Something you might also run into (at least I ran into it) is that due to the tight space of the cab, you might need some custom door pods to make the front speakers image correctly. My front stage had dead spots until I angled the speakers up and back a bit. (And then again, that Dodge might not have the same problem that my Ford did.)

well, I don't know enough to figure out if the angle of my front speakers are correct, they sound great to me, as far as HCX 165's, I thought the 165's were the 5.25's. If not, then thats what I meant anyways, so basically what you're saying is that the rear speakers do pretty much nothing, because yes the ports for them are below my shoulders, very much so. So maybe I'll hold off on that. As far as the sub goes, I guess I'll try to make a custom box that fits behind one of the seats, not under it, thanks for your help.

"they sound great to me"

In the end, that is all that matters.

Back in 97/98 timeframe, I had a single ported 12" Soundstream SPL (SS12 was the model I think) behind the seat in my '95 Dodge Ram regular cab. It sounded great, and I was able to get it to only use up about 1/2 the space behind the seat. Now days, if you pick the right 8" or 10", you can have crazy bass. Given that you just want to have a bit of kick, I suggest finding a good 10" for a sealed enclosure. Since you will be making the box, sealed boxes are easier to get "sounding right." Although if you are a good box builder, you can get more volume out of a ported box. If you intend on running lower power, I suggest finding a highly efficient sub.

Also, where do you want to place the amp for the subs / door speakers?

1. Select the sub

2. Select the amp(s)

3. Build the box to the sub's specs.

4. Hook it all up

Find something you like and post it up here, maybe we can give suggestions on how to get the most bang for your buck. I am sure that the guys here can come up with some good / cheap solutions.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.