Need help picking an amp...

Participant count
  • Participant list

justchillin
10+ year member

DC Metro
Ok well i think i've changed my mind about my planned setup...

now i'm going with the pioneer 7400MD and (2) 12" alpine type R subs so now my new question is what amp would you recommend for this setup??? I get a best buy discount but i'd rather spend a little more than be unhappy with my system...

At first i might only have one sub hooked up but i will add the second soon after...

Also what ohm (2 or 4) sub should I be looking for??? (the type R's come in both 2 and 4 ohm models, so which one??)

thanks

ok, if i go with the jbl 1200.1 and run 2 12" Type R subs does that mean i should get the 4 ohm models (because the RMS @ 4ohms=600watts, which when run to 2 subs would be 300watts each--which is the RMS of the type R subs...and if run a 2ohms it would be way to powerful for the subs-600watts each)???

let me know if i'm way off with this...this is just what made sense to me???

thanks for the suggestion (and explanation if i'm way off)...

-mike

Im not sure if the JBL is 2 ohm stable, but ill suppose it is. If you do run in 2ohm then just make sure your gain isent way up so you arent overpowing the subs, and since the gains arent cranked then the JBL will probably run fine in 2ohm.

doesnt matter if they are single vc 2 ohm or 4 ohm jbl amp puts 1200 watts into a 1 ohm or 2 ohm load...2 4 ohm speakers playin same frequency in parallel=2 ohms 2 2 ohm=1 ohm now if they are dual vc then i would get the 4 ohm just for ease of wireing if they are 2 ohm dvc's then a series parrallel configuration would be needed.

will the jbl drain to much power from my car (i'm not sure what the poser requirements are for that amp)???

it for my 2000 Civic Si....

will i need any special excessories to accomodate the power requirements???

go to an auto shop and get your alternator rewound/rebuilt and ask to add about 20 amps to it atleast. 80-100 bucks..you can then ad caps or a second battery. adding a second battery isnt that bad my shop i go to just got these neat lil gel cells that would do the trick and are really small.

can any shop add a second battery or do i need to find a specialty shop???

will rebuilding/rewinding the alternator cause the battery to drain faster??

what are caps??

how much for the little gel cel's??? do the go under they hood or ar they mounted near the amp???

sorry for all the ? but i want to know all my options before i jump into anything....

thanks

mike

i would go to a good stereo shop to add the battery...about 100 or less for these they are 22 amp hours not alot but alot better than a cap 6"x3"x9" size and under the hood if u could...cost of install depends on the shop. a cap is a farad capicitor it helps stabilize voltage the battery would do more..bigger alt would actually help your battery not hurt it.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

do i have any other options other that having my alternator rebuilt??? Are there any other amps i could use that don't draw as much power from my alternator???

do i have any other options other that having my alternator rebuilt??? Are there any other amps i could use that don't draw as much power from my alternator???

what if i went with the jbl 600.1 and ran it at 2ohms which would give me 300 watts rms on each sub (which happens the rms of the type R's that i plan to get)????

would the 600.1 still require a rebuild???

is a class d amp doesnt get much more efficent... i would suggest it anyway people neglect their cars power. and the 1200.1 works better on those subs if you want a lil better try a memphis 1000d. want lil less power but awesome sq get a jl 500/1 i just like the way the memphis performs best....not at all takeing away from the other amps i mentioned is just a matter of taste

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.