need help picking amp...

Matt_2k3
10+ year member

Missouri
hey, i have 2 audiobahn 300 RMS subs. i need a amp, but i'm stuck between 2. i can get a Rockford fosgate 700S (350 W X 2 @ 2 Ohms RMS, 700 W X 1 @ 4 Ohms Bridged RMS) for $310. its about the right amount of watts, but then i could get a audiobahn A4125HCQ amp (125 W X 4 @ 4 ohms, 1000 x 2 @ 1) alot more power, for $390 ($1000 amp) i was told i should use a bigger amp, so that its not working so hard and the SQ is better...but with that RF there is still more than required, plus i would be saving $90...whats your opinion, what should i get?

I'd check out the Lanzar Vibe amps also.

You can get plenty of power for a lot cheaper.

Vibe 269 - 2x500 watts RMS @ 4 ohms. $169 at ikesound.com.

Even if it doesn't put out *all* 500 x 2, you're still getting a lot of amp for the money.

I run two of these amps (the 428 - 125 watts x 4, and the 248 - 300 watts x 2) and I'm very happy with them.

They are at least on par with Rockford for quality - I know, I had Rockford before the Lanzars.

~HH

There's nothing wrong with having more watts than your speakers are rated for. Set up properly, it's a good thing.

Keep the gains low, and don't beat the subs up and it's fine. It's called headroom - it's better overall to have more watts on tap that do not get used than to push a lesser amp to its limits.

Maybe the Lanzar 258 would be better suited, however - 400 x 2.

~HH

I'll second the lanzar vibe258....that the amp I am running right now, and again it may not put out 400 x 2 really, but it is probably putting out over 300 x2 and that is all that your subs call for. The amp is built solidly, I have never had any problems with it, and it always stays cool.

i'm getting it from some guy...these are the best he has. he only has 1 audiobahn amp, so its either that one or the RF. their brand new though...i think i'm going with the RF

Originally posted by Woodmister Yea, but why spend more then you need and get less qualtity for your money?
Where's the "less quality"? I can tell you that not too many amps out there these days are underrated the way they *used* to be. And I feel the Lanzar puts down very close to rated power, even if it doesn't hit it on the button.

And at less than $150 shipped for a brand new amplifier, how is that spending more than you need?

I spent $130 each for my Lanzars shipped to my door. The Rockfords I had before were well over twice the price, and there's no difference in the quality. My previous RF's were 90 watts x 2 and 250 x 2. The Lanzars are definitely more powerful (my ears can tell), and are rated at 125 x 4 and 300 x 2. With 600 to the subs and 125 to the front stage (just some midbass in rear fill for the other 2 channels), the difference is definitely noticeable.

These are solid amps, and I don't know if there's a better dollar-to-actual-watt ratio out there.

~HH

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.