Need help on equipment decisions. Getting back into Car Audio

Participant count
  • Participant list

chrispryor
10+ year member

I have been out of messing with car audio for years and recently have found myself messing with stuff in my car. I need some advice on what to get now. I really want a solid sounding system even though i listen to a varied amount of music I still prefer a great sounding ride as opposed to something boomy and loud.

97 mustang cobra

currently i have a jl audio10w6 and mb quart component 5 1/4 speakers all around. using soundstream old school blue 4 channel amp the non regulated one if im not mistaken class 400 i think

I am willing to change everything and some of my reading has lead me to think of trying out Dynaudio MW170 in the doors and I have jl audio c5-650 for my kick panels. I doubt i change the kick panel speakers as i bought them a year ago and still in the box. other than that i would love to get some advice.

amplifiers i really want to change out unless they are still really good? i thought about zed audio?

i still use old school zed amps,and wouldnt change for any new jap made.zed amps, are pretty top notch,that amp you have will more likely be less tdh,and more rms than any new amp,unless you whip your wallet out.for a nice sq sub,and decent price,take a look at daytons,or ssa line up.i still run old school polks,and infinity for my mids n highs,recently bought a massive component set,and they sound pretty good for the money.what amps are you looking to change/power needed/ohms load wanting to run,what power supply do you have/stock alt,ect/budget?

hook those speakers up..try them out..only way to know if you yourself like them or not...everyone has different taste.what sounds good to you may not to others

I will be sticking to stock alternator and I dont mind using Stiffening Cap. I will defi hook the Jl Components up and I want to get the Mw170 for the doors. I will probably keep the MB quart 5 1/4 for now in the rear even though i dont see any point since nobody sings behind you. rear maybe but if they end up mesing with the sound i will just cut them. I have the original image dynamics wave guides and have toyed with the idea of using them again?

So no other amps really over the zed huh. I will give them a shot unless there is much better.

My budget is technically not an issue since I will just upgrade as needed. at this point my system is running fine i just feel it needs an upgrade. i never liked the sound of 5 1/4 but when i did them i was really just sticking to the car being as stock as possible. now i dont care so in goes kick panel work and so on.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.