Need help on choosing Subs

Alpine4life
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I had two alpine type Rs (12inch) powered by a Jbl 1200.1 i got rid of the subs and now want somthing with better SQ and maybe the same or a lil better SPL....I had to listen to certain songs with my type rs and it got annoying...so now im lookin for 1 sub...10 12 or 15...doesnt matter...i stil have the same amp...i do have a honda civic 2001 so space is kind of an issue....if there is a 12 inch sub out there that can pound like my type rs but better SQ that would be perfect....i have around 350$ saved up for the sub...any suggestions?

I had two alpine type Rs (12inch) powered by a Jbl 1200.1 i got rid of the subs and now want somthing with better SQ and maybe the same or a lil better SPL....I had to listen to certain songs with my type rs and it got annoying...so now im lookin for 1 sub...10 12 or 15...doesnt matter...i stil have the same amp...i do have a honda civic 2001 so space is kind of an issue....if there is a 12 inch sub out there that can pound like my type rs but better SQ that would be perfect....i have around 350$ saved up for the sub...any suggestions?
The new Image Dynamics IDmax spl sub, its a great sub. Wonderful SQ and great SPL.

Heres the dual 2ohm

http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=IDMAX12D2

Dual 4ohm

http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=IDMAX12D4

Depending on what amp you get. Good amp to get for something like this is maybe a 1ohm stable amplifier.

The new Image Dynamics IDmax spl sub, its a great sub. Wonderful SQ and great SPL.
yea. maybe a mag d2 or a diamond tdx. i ahve become a huge fan of diamond audio since i experimented with some of their stuff. i right now have a tdx 12" with 1200 watts and i love the way it sounds.

Oh heck why don't you just get a XXX. Every one else seems to have them...
Problem though livinloud, is that he could buy it but then needs a pretty **** big amplifier for it. Which means spending more bux you know! The ID IDmax would be a great sub for him. This is coming from me I have a 15" RE XXX in a SS, but it adds up for this sub.

Problem though livinloud, is that he could buy it but then needs a pretty **** big amplifier for it. Which means spending more bux you know! The ID IDmax would be a great sub for him. This is coming from me I have a 15" RE XXX in a SS, but it adds up for this sub.
Do not run a IDmax with 1200 watts, I'm serious too. You would be better off running the amp at 4ohm and giving the sub 600 watts. The IDmax starts dimpling with 900+ watts to it. When the sub starts to dimple you lose all the SQ the sub has, when I say dimpling I mean you will see dimples in the surround when the sub is playing. This is a common problem with IDmax's

You said space is an issue, how much space do you have to work with? The obvious suggestion(from me at least) is to get a 15" so you can maximize the power you have and get the most out of the limited space permitting the 15" can fit.

Do not run a IDmax with 1200 watts, I'm serious too. You would be better off running the amp at 4ohm and giving the sub 600 watts. The IDmax starts dimpling with 900+ watts to it. When the sub starts to dimple you lose all the SQ the sub has, when I say dimpling I mean you will see dimples in the surround when the sub is playing. This is a common problem with IDmax's
You said space is an issue, how much space do you have to work with? The obvious suggestion(from me at least) is to get a 15" so you can maximize the power you have and get the most out of the limited space permitting the 15" can fit.
I have heard IDmax running at its recommended 1000watts rms, they sound wonderful, Sq was simply amazing for that high of powered driver.

I have heard IDmax running at its recommended 1000watts rms, they sound wonderful, Sq was simply amazing for that high of powered driver.
Not all of them have the problem but some of them do, the ID fanatics will say right around 750 is perfect. Plus the jump from 750 to 1000 watts will be relativly minimal, it's more about the box at that point. Don't get me wrong either I'm definitly not bashing this woofer, if I had the money I would have 2 of them in my car, they are my favorite subwoofers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.