NEED HELP! How to check Impedance Rise on Subwoofers with a meter!

swollen_cu
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hi, I was just wondering how to check the impedance rise with a meter.

I know I can check it by positive and negative on each voice coil.

But can I wire it in series or parallel and check it from there?

Let's just say I have a D4 Sub and wire it down to 2 ohm.

And I just tap on to the positive and negative.

Will it be accurate or I have to test each voice coil individually?

The reason being is that the subs are already in the box and

I dont feel like taking it out the box because the subs are pretty heavy.

I was just going to test it on the terminals, but the voice coils are already wired.

And what setting on the meter is the correct way to read it.

Thanks in advance....

you can check impedence just by touching pos and neg speaker wires.. you cannot check imp rise with a dmm.. you need a clamp meter.. your imp will show what they are wired to reguardless of box or wattage... to check RISE you need a clamp meter.. hope i made sense

you can check impedence just by touching pos and neg speaker wires.. you cannot check imp rise with a dmm.. you need a clamp meter.. your imp will show what they are wired to reguardless of box or wattage... to check RISE you need a clamp meter.. hope i made sense
Yeah, I kind of understand. I can use a clamp meter from a friend. So the subs doesnt need to be on to check it right?

What setting on the meter is the correct way to set it? Thanks

test it at the terminal on the box, see if it reads out around 2 ohms...if thats what your askin help with
Yeah, that's what I wanted to know. I just thought that you have to check each

voice coil individually. But the subs does not need to be on right? Thanks

LOL this thread is FULL of misinformation.

You need BOTH a DMM and Clamp Meter. Put the clamp on all positive wires. Set the clamp to measure AC current. Put the DMM on a positive and negative terminals and set to AC voltage. Play a tone. Write down the current and voltage. Multiply those together and you get the actual wattage. Divide the voltage by the current and you get the impedence after rise.

LOL this thread is FULL of misinformation. You need BOTH a DMM and Clamp Meter. Put the clamp on all positive wires. Set the clamp to measure AC current. Put the DMM on a positive and negative terminals and set to AC voltage. Play a tone. Write down the current and voltage. Multiply those together and you get the actual wattage. Divide the voltage by the current and you get the impedence after rise.
Wow! That's a lot of work just to check the imp rise. Plus you have to do math too. haha.

It's cool. Thanks for the info. It was straightforward. I just wanted to check the ohm of

the sub itself while it's not playing. Just wanted to see if its higher than 2 ohms or lower than 2 ohms.

Because I have 2 subs and it'll make a big difference when they're together. thanks

well since your measuring the current going through the wire, by the field around the wire, the electrons need to be flowin.
dont have to have it playing.. you can check a sub sitting on the floor by touching pos and heg on same coil.. same with speaker wire.. if you already got it wired up just check by touching to pos and neg.. this will not show what your coils are this will show what you are wired to... nothing has to be running

LOL this thread is FULL of misinformation. You need BOTH a DMM and Clamp Meter. Put the clamp on all positive wires. Set the clamp to measure AC current. Put the DMM on a positive and negative terminals and set to AC voltage. Play a tone. Write down the current and voltage. Multiply those together and you get the actual wattage. Divide the voltage by the current and you get the impedence after rise.
or not... he was looking for the imp of his sub.. he just wrote it wrong in the thread.. read everything and you would know whatr he was looking for

and i believe the setting is 2k.. i cant be sure without looking at it in front of me but if it says 200 or something obviously its not 200 ohms.. lol.. should be an ohm sybol..

vary well put, there are a few guys on here with good info but beware of some peoples advice that you get at 12 pm from kids that have to be at school in the morning

or not... he was looking for the imp of his sub.. he just wrote it wrong in the thread.. read everything and you would know whatr he was looking for
My bad about it. I didnt know how to say it. But you know what I mean. Thanks for the info.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.