Need Help!! Highs cut out......

Participant count
  • Participant list

Trixter
10+ year member

Keepin it Simple
After about 15 minutes of play time, my highs cut out. At first they seem to alternate on and off with the bass. When I turn the volume down it stops for a minute and then continues until the highs are completly off.

-At first I thouht that the amp may be over heating but it's cool to the touch.

-I use the pass through for the RCA's (from the 800 to the 200) and thought that the sub amp may be dawing from the other. I disconnected it and no difference.

-Both amps have their own power/ground.

-The remote line is shared between the amps and two .11amp fans. I disconnected the fans and still no difference.

Ovar all it seems like I'm losing the signal over a 3 minute period that alternates with the bass. I don't think that the bass is effected, I turn if off when i starts to happen in fear of making something worse. When I turn off the system and let it sit for a few minutes, everthing is fine when I turn it bck on and then it starts all over again.

All the equipment I am talking about is in my profile below. If I am being to vague, let me know and I will try to clear anything up.

ok well let's start from the basics since you have covered some of the more complex. Do your highs have crossovers on them? If so check the crossovers and make sure they are nto overheating or shorting anywhere. It seems to me that there could either a) be a short or B) a bad crossover in the line. Tho it is a bit vague until some more things can be eliminated.

Yes it's all four of the MB's. I'm going to try a different 4 channel amp tonight. Is it possible that it could be he power to the amps? I run 2 batteries and have them distribted and fused properly. I am using 8 gague wire. Could the subs be consuming all the power and in turn cutting out the the amp running MB's????

It should not be the amp consuming too much power, tho it could very well be the amp on the high's. It still could be a short in the system somewhere and the amp cutting out on a protection circuit. Therefore changing the amp out may not solve the problem. If you have a spare amp to toss in there by all means go ahead it can not hurt anything, but if it is a short you will very likely get the same problem either way.

To answer your Q before...yes, each MB has it's own X-over. If it was an X-over, how could it be all 4 at the sametime? I ran seperate RCA's ( not using the pass through) and no dice. I swapped the amp with another 4 channel and still nothing. I'm going to try and run new power and ground to the MB's amp right now. I'll keep you posted.

I starting to run out of options and it's not looking good.

Maybe I should go to someone that does this for a living:D

I am not sayign it is all 4 crossovers at once but one of them could have a short in the resistors internally. It also could be a shorted wire running to one of them. Even something so simple as having sheilding open on one side or a fine thread of wire jumpering over by the amp. I have seen it before and it is an easy overlook.

It has nothing to do with the power/ ground. It sounds like a definite possibility that it could be between the amp and the speakers 'cause it's the only thing I haven't checked. It's going to b a pain to retrace all of the wires and get into the doors again. Sounds like a tomarrow project.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

Not a problem at all. I know that a lot of times the speaker wires are overlooked when an amp is cutting out and a short can cause that type of problem. Especially if it is between wires that are moving and or only shorting on occasion.

Today I ran seperate power to the fans (other than the remote line) and their grounded to the battery in the trunk. I also tried to ground it with the amps figuring there may be a ground loop. No luck. In a 2002 Cavaier you need to keep the factory HU hooked up 'cause of some diognostics that run through it. I disconnected that......No luck. I swapped HU's and still.........No luck. Figuring that the problem still points to the speaker wiring and x-overs, I hooked up a spare set of Boston Accoustics direcrly off the amp. (no x-overs) I also disconnected all of the MB's. And still........No luck.

I have no idea what's going on, but this is day four and it really *****:mad:

Day 5...

To doday I ran completly new RCA's and wired the HU completly seperate from the factory harness. and guess what......the problem still festers!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif

I'm going to talk to a guy at a local shop tomarrow.

This is jus rediculous!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif :confused:

At this point I do not see any harm in it. It seem slike you have everything well checked out on your own maybe a different aspect and someone else looking at the problem physically is what you need. Let us know how it comes out tho because this has got me curious as hell too.

This morning I took out the Punch 800 and hooked it up on the picnic table with the spare set of Boston's. I ran power and groud from under the hood and the RCA's and remote from the HU. It worked fine. So I slowly started to hook other things up. First was the Punch 200. It still worked with the subs going. So I then connected the pwer, ground, ad remote up fom the trunk along with the MB's. Still working fine. I then plugged in the RCA's that are ran through the car. Everything is still fine. Now I have it hooked up the exact way it was along! And it works fine!!!! The problem........... I have no idea. (I dont know if that's a good thing though.)

Pics as soon as I get them!!!

Could be something small you overlooked when you had it all wired already and were going over it. Hope it is doing ok now if you have it all back in.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.