Need help getting speakers to work.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Tim6696

CarAudio.com Newbie
Fl
I installed 2 kicker 4ohm cs speakers in front doors. They have power but no sound. I can hear very low audio, and bass. This is the same problem I had with the front door speaker which prompted me to change them. Now same issue occurs when I tried putting the OEM speakers back. I tried using vehicle adapter, as well as the wires that came with the speakers and same thing. I am thinking of trying to install then in the rear doors to see what happens, but unsure if it will cause the same issue like it did to the passenger door. Vehicle is a 2015 sonata with OEM amplifier. Any idea what this could be?

It is the factory radio. I would have to check what ohms it says, would that make that much of a difference if it was 2ohms? And by fader, is that in the settings in the head unit? if so, I did check all of that and it seems fine.

The speaker doesn't say. But I tested and it was reading 3 to 4 ohms. And even if I fade completely to the front, there's is not much sound coming from the door speakers, little to none. And now same thing if I try to put the oem speakers back in.

And now same thing if I try to put the oem speakers back in.
Since all equipment is OEM and untouched, I assume wiring is not at fault. Test OEM speaker on rear wires to see if they play good. If they work, I will assume the amplifier is at fault. I do not recall ever replacing an OEM radio that uses an external amplifier; but bad OEM amplifiers, I have replaced quite a few. Remember, this is an assumption. The amp may end up being ok and the radio bad. It is easier to replace the amp than the radio, and usually more cost effective.
The puzzling issue is that it is a fairly new car. How does it happen without owner's meddling?

Since all equipment is OEM and untouched, I assume wiring is not at fault. Test OEM speaker on rear wires to see if they play good. If they work, I will assume the amplifier is at fault. I do not recall ever replacing an OEM radio that uses an external amplifier; but bad OEM amplifiers, I have replaced quite a few. Remember, this is an assumption. The amp may end up being ok and the radio bad. It is easier to replace the amp than the radio, and usually more cost effective.
The puzzling issue is that it is a fairly new car. How does it happen without owner's meddling?
So I tested the speakers on a rear door and they work fine. So does this mean it's that amp?
If so, is there a way I can test the amp? I asked a local sound shop, they said I can't use a aftermarket amp without replacing the headunit, I was hoping I could use some kind of wiring harness that works with a aftermarket amp.

So I tested the speakers on a rear door and they work fine. So does this mean it's that amp?
If so, is there a way I can test the amp? I asked a local sound shop, they said I can't use a aftermarket amp without replacing the headunit, I was hoping I could use some kind of wiring harness that works with a aftermarket amp.
Two steps to test the amp; figure out which wires go to a front speaker and test if amp sending power to that speaker harness. If no power is sent, then find which input wires are associated with that speaker and test those wires to see if radio is sending signal to the amplifier.
If amplifier IS sending power, then the speaker harness is the issue.
You can definitely reuse your OEM radio with an aftermarket amp, guy was just trying to sell you a radio. Here is an Add-an-Amp harness-
Screenshot_20220611-063834.png

Or, you can purchase an used or new OEM amp and just plug & play. Best option if you are not really into car audio.

that kind of describes the sound when the common is lost between a pair of channels. you get some lows and it plays the difference between right and left, but not the common sound.... given the vehicle, its most likely that the oem amp is blown, but you need to compare input and output signal to verify.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...